SOLVED Internal Card Reader not recognised

Reaction score
Hi.

I just installed an internal USB card reader and the USB port works fine and the 4 card slots appear in device manager ( under portable devices ). When I insert a card into any of the slots, the green activity light comes on but when I go to 'My Computer' - no sign of any of the reader drives. I swapped the Header ports on the Mobo and it's the same.

I tried deleting the devices in Device Manager, then re-installing them - no change. I then checked the drivers and the message is that the best drivers are already installed.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted !

Thanks

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It sounds like everything is working, you probably just need to assign it a drive letter.

Plug the card in again. Then open Control Panel > Administrator Tools. Run Computer Management. In the new window run Disk Management. (Or just run Diskmgmt.msc from the search bar)

If the drive is there then right-click and assign it a drive letter. If not then take a screenshot and post it back here.

Once it has a drive letter you should see it in My Computer

Reaction score
Hi

Sorry for the delay - I tried very suggestion to no avail - then I borrowed a reader from a friend and hey presto it worked ! I looked at the pins of the old one ( CF Socket - I needed a magnifying glass to spot it ) and found a pin bent over and shorting a couple of others.

Thanks for your help

Shintaro

Reaction score
It's great that you found the problem. Please mark the thread as solved.

Ask a Question