Auto Login Fails intermittently

Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced the following issue? Is there a fix?

We used the sysinternals autologon.exe (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963905) to set the registry entries for a particular domain user to automatically login on our Windows 7 Enterprise POS machines.

This works and the profile will automatically login "most of the time" but not "every time". For example, if you log off from the system and log on as a local administrator to do some work and then reboot. It "may or may not" automatically log in after the reboot.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rickey

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Any chance someone is pressing the shift key?
Also, if the shift key is held down before the system performs an autologon, the autologon will be disabled for that logon.
Not familiar with what settings "autologon" tweaks, but in other threads that discuss setting the computer up to automatically login, they mention disabling the guest ID so you might check that.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Autologin fails

There is almost no chance the users are hitting the shift key on startup. I have witnessed the symptoms myself.

Do you think the following GPO setting could be a contributor in the case of slow network connections?

System/Logon
Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon

Thank you,
Rickey

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'm not qualified to answer that. I'm guessing that is a setting from AutoLogon? The only computer I have that logs on automatically is an HTPC and I have never experienced your issue but I don't use the AutoLogon program either. I do know mine is set up on a wireless network and it doesn't wait for a connection because I often watch as it finally establishes a network connection, so maybe try it?

Also, you did not mention whether you have Guest disabled?

Hopefully someone else will come along that has more experience with the AutoLogon program.

Reaction score
Auto login fails

Sorry. Yes, the guest account is disabled.

Thanks,
Rickey

Ask a Question