SOLVED Installing Win 7 on multiple Computers

Reaction score
Basic question: I have 2 computers and I have Win 7 upgrade [32 + 64 bit discs] . Can I install on both PC's or do I have to buy another CD key? If not how many installs do I have and If I can only use it on one PC can I install 32 bit over 64 if it [64] doesn't work out for me?

Yep, Basic but long

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Dogwart - you may only do one install per key, regardless of whether it's 32 or 64 bit.

2 discs per Upgrade package, one key, one install only.

You can install whichever version you care to run, but remember that to change from 64 to 32 bit or the reverse, you must do a clean install. It cannot be done any other way, unfortunately.

You could buy an OEM edition which is the least expensive way to go to get a second computer up and running. They come in either 32 bit or 64 bit only though.

I don't see why you would want to downgrade to a 32 bit version when the 64 bit is a better, more secure OS. If your CPU, motherboard can handle it then go with the 64 bit. If you'll notice AMD and Intel no longer make 32 bit processors except Intel's Atom which is used in those useless netbooks.

A minimum of 2GB of RAM is necessary to run the x64 OS, but you'll really unleash the power of the system with 4GB. I'm running 6GB right now and my browser is faster than it used to be on 4GB.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You can install on both PC's, but a key will only activate on one computer at a time. You will need a separate key for each computer. Yes, you can install 32 bit over 64 bit if you want, make sure that you format, prior to installing. And if I'm not mistaken, you have 10 activations with a key, then you must call to activate it again.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You can buy just the key on eBay but it can be risky. If they are legitimate THAT is the cheapest way to go as you only need a key, no software. If you do go that way do not leave feedback right away because just because it works right away doesn't mean Microsoft can't lock it out in the future. It is my understanding, if the eBay seller is selling the same key to several people then Microsoft can detect the multiple computers and lock the product key so they all become invalid. You have up to 45 days to file a dispute so let it set and click the Is My License Valid on day 45 before ever considering leaving feedback..

Reaction score
I don't see anyone legitimately trying to sell only a key on eBay. OEM keys die with the computer they were installed on. Retail keys are usually used up long before anyone even thinks about selling them.

If you do purchase from eBay, make sure your purchase includes authenticity as well as the install DVD's. If you don't get all then chances are you are being screwed.

Think about who sells on eBay and how they would be able to get authentic keys that they themselves don't want to use. Remember one install per key, chances are this one install is already in use for all keys being sold on eBay.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well software and licenses are being transmitted over the internet more and more. The one I bought included a valid link to Microsofts iso download for 32 & 64bit, both which worked; and since MS is constantly changing these servers I am hoping it is legitimate.

Trurth is Catilley can get keys (I think up to 10) with his MSDN subscription if he knows how.

Some times you have to have a little faith. Of course, I've been screwed over a few times as well, which is why I always pay by credit card. If eBays dispute policy doesn't work well then I have my credit card company to fall back on.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Well software and licenses are being transmitted over the internet more and more. The one I bought included a valid link to Microsofts iso download for 32 & 64bit, both which worked; and since MS is constantly changing these servers I am hoping it is legitimate.

Trurth is Catilley can get keys (I think up to 10) with his MSDN subscription if he knows how.

Some times you have to have a little faith. Of course, I've been screwed over a few times as well, which is why I always pay by credit card. If eBays dispute policy doesn't work well then I have my credit card company to fall back on.
You're correct in what you stated, I can get up to 10 keys for every OS, Server & Office products that MS produced. Even OS's that aren't available for retail, like 7 Starter (OEM) and Home Basic. I have every 7 that's been produced, plus Vista SP2, XP Pro (32 & 64 bit), Office 2010 Pro Plus (a $499 value). Why pay retail for 7 Pro, when for the less than it's price, you can have it all. It's there for anyone who pays for the service, for less than $300 (with discount). Plus, you get three courses per year.

But, Microsoft keeps track of things. If you forget one of your keys, all you need to do is sign in, go to My Product Keys, and every one that has been issued to you is listed. When you join, an "update" is placed on your computer(s) at the first time you use the service with that particular computer. Your IP address is recorded. If these keys that I'm issued ends up being activated on the West Coast, the one who activates the key has no problem. I do. I would never place my membership in jeopardy over selling or giving away keys & discs.

Many eBay sellers buy these memberships to sell the keys, you can get well over a hundred of them, plus discs. That's why in the eBay ads, often you see that a seller has 10 keys for a given product. I've noticed it for years, but only when I became a TechNet member, did I realize why this particular number. Chances are that when you buy a eBay key, you're buying a TechNet issued key. That's how the seller can claim that the keys are issued by Microsoft, because they are. But what they're doing is illegal, they setup an eBay sellers account, join TechNet, and they're selling the crap out of keys, and after they run out (within a matter of a couple of days), they're gone. The reason they usually get away? Debit cards are issued like those throwaway cell phones. The initial card is a temporary one, but the money is made and gone by the time the "real" card comes in.

But any OS's or Office products that I've gotten is on my computer(s). Some are installed within VM's (I have 7 & XP on Mint), I have many combinations of installs. It doesn't matter, they are activated properly, and should MS audit my computer (you give them this right by joining), I'm legal. And intend to stay that way.

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Cat, if they are selling a technet license then the licenses are legal/valid right, they don't expire do they? So couldn't you sell the 10 licenses on eBay for say $40 a pop and it basically pay off your subscription? Is that illegal? If not, you could pay back mom-in-law pretty quick and use everything essentially for FREE :)

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Cat, if they are selling a technet license then the licenses are legal/valid right, they don't expire do they? So couldn't you sell the 10 licenses on eBay for say $40 a pop and it basically pay off your subscription? Is that illegal? If not, you could pay back mom-in-law pretty quick and use everything essentially for FREE :)
They are legal, but only to the subscription holder. It is clearly stated in the Technet Eula.As Cat correctly infers, it would put his account in jeopardy to mess with the keys. A browse will show instances where this has been the case. You are unlikely to suffer anything worst han a sudden cessation of you licenced priviliges, but the money, and your future chances of re-enlisting, are gone forever. Worst, could be a reexamination of the whole scheme, to the possible loss of some priviliges to other subscription holders. Not forgetting, that Microsoft do have a record of keys supplied with each liceneced member. They would probably take steps to disable those, in the above circumstances.

Reaction score
Without knowing anything about TechNet, this is the way I see it.

The TechNet subscription benefits the TechNet member. The keys that are available are not intended for anyone else. A business owner can purchase a subscription and give each of his workers a different key for the company computer's. If one of the key were to get out and blacklisted. The owner would know who was the most likely candidate in giving away the key.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Gee Dave, thankx, that is NOT what I wanted to hear. If my license becomes invalid I'm gonna cry in your beer.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You are correct, they don't expire. But if a TechNet member is caught selling or giving away keys or discs, that's the end of their membership. A quick $40 a pop isn't worth losing your membership over. As to the legal issues that's involved if a member is caught doing this, that's between the former member and his/her attorney. Because if you're physically caught (as in your hands cuffed behind your back) you're going to need one badly. Microsoft isn't going to allow someone to make a huge profit off of them and not go after them, if they can locate them. When you join, there's another EULA that you don't see on the visitors screen, when you pay, prior to them accepting your payment, you agree that Microsoft can hold you civilly AND criminally responsible for selling software & keys, among other agreements that you make with them. It is not permitted in your membership to be a broker for MS services, if that's what you're referring to.

BTW, my mom-in-law has been paid back, the only reason I asked her was I thought the memberships would be sold out before the date the promotion ended, she was paid back in less than a week, after my payday was deposited.

And another BTW, if I really wanted to make some BIG money, the retail value of the meds I'm prescribed monthly are over $4,000, and the street value is double that. But once again, the legal issues would be very severe if I were to be caught selling drugs, and most likely my doctor(s) (primary and PM) would consider that abusing the system. Abusing the policies, regardless of the services, will either leave you on the curb, or worse yet, the slammer.

My point is, it's best to play by the rules.

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well then you answered my question. If this is where they are getting them then it's definately not allowed per Microsoft.

Thanx for the insider knowledge.

Ask a Question