Installing 2nd SSD to Run Programs

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a video editor and need lots of space to run my programs. I custom built a PC last year (as in I shopped for the components and took it to Microcenter to build it). At the time, I could only afford a 120 GB SSD (Intel), but I currently only have 4 GB +/- space left.

I need to install more software Adobe Creative Suite and AVID Media Composer and need lots of space. I guess I'm weighing my options. Should I:

1) Currently uninstall everything on current 120 GB SSD, purchase a larger 240 GB SSD and re-install Windows 7 64 bit and ALL programs?

2) Purchase a second SSD drive and use that to run newly installed programs and leave the original C:/ - Intel 120 GB SSD the way that it is?

3) Any other options?

Thanks

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
The easiest option would be 3) Buy the 240-256GB SSD, and use a cloning program (I use Acronis but it is not free) to clone the 120GB SSD's contents onto the new SSD. Then that's it, you would be ready to go!

If you go this route, after the program has finished power down and physically disconnect the old 120GB drive while you make sure everything works normally. After you are sure you don't need it you can either keep it as a backup image, or format it before you try to use it as a spare drive. Windows won't like seeing a copy of itself on the SSD and may give you not-genuine warnings if you leave it connected without formatting it. ;)

Reaction score
Huh! Thanks...I didn't even know about this.
It's THAT easier...the cloning? So, not installing/re-installing/wiping...etc. Would I have to do anything in the BIOS menu? My ex was the techie...I learned a bit...but now I wish I actually paid attention!

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Since you are already using an SSD the BIOS should already be configured for AHCI operation on the SATA ports. Assuming this is the case there isn't anything you would need to adjust. Just install the cloning software on the system, install and format the second SSD, and then the cloning software can directly transfer a cloned image onto the new drive.

Because both disks are SSDs it removes a lot of small issues that can arise if one of them had been a HDD. Just make sure to format your old drive (after you are sure the new one is working) if you plan to leave it connected to the system.

Ask a Question