SOLVED Installing programs to 2nd Hard Drive, on 64-bit OS.

Reaction score
I recently bought a new PC with Win 7 Home Premium, 64bit installed (previously used Vista Home Premium 32bit).

I understand (as far as I'm aware), that 64bit apps should be installed into the ''Program Files'' folder on the root of drive C, and that 32bit apps should go into the ''Program Files (x86)'' folder.

I'd like to know whether there's a problem with installing programs onto a 2nd Hard Drive I've bought. I ask, because the owner of the PC shop claims I shouldn't do so unless I'm using an installation disc (as when playing games), to run the program.

I'd like to place a ''program Files'' folder on the second hard drive and install some 32bit programs into this, to save space on my primary C Drive. Are there going to be problems with this please?

I've searched this Forum (and asked Mr Google), for an answer to this particular question, but couldn't find anything. Hope it wasn't staring me in the face

Cheers.

Reaction score
Well it probably would be easier just to leave it the way Windows wants it. However I don't think there would be a problem, all you have to do is create a folder called program files on the second drive and whenever you are installing 32 bit programs, navigate to it and chose to install programs there or else Windows will install the programs in the default 32 bit program files folder or some other place you specify. I don't know of a way to change the default installation location so that programs automatically install in the new program folder though ( probably have to make a change to the registry ).

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
The programs will install to the proper default folder automatically. You may have issues if you try to install to a 2nd hard drive.

You have two 500GB hard drives, so space shouldn't be an issue. I have over 20 programs installed and am only using about 17GB on my 64GB C drive partition.

Reaction score
No problems at all! In fact, you should save every file and install every program you own to the second drive! This will allow you to wipe Windows clean in the event of some software issue and start over without compromising any of your files, or the vast majority of your programs. Some might need to be reinstalled (like Office and the like), but by in large, all of your programs would survive and that will save you tons of time.

Long story short: Never install anything to C:\Program Files if you can help it.

I recently bought a new PC with Win 7 Home Premium, 64bit installed (previously used Vista Home Premium 32bit).

I understand (as far as I'm aware), that 64bit apps should be installed into the ''Program Files'' folder on the root of drive C, and that 32bit apps should go into the ''Program Files (x86)'' folder.

I'd like to know whether there's a problem with installing programs onto a 2nd Hard Drive I've bought. I ask, because the owner of the PC shop claims I shouldn't do so unless I'm using an installation disc (as when playing games), to run the program.

I'd like to place a ''program Files'' folder on the second hard drive and install some 32bit programs into this, to save space on my primary C Drive. Are there going to be problems with this please?

I've searched this Forum (and asked Mr Google), for an answer to this particular question, but couldn't find anything. Hope it wasn't staring me in the face

Cheers.

Reaction score
Absolutely correct Thrax :D That is an excellent reason to install programs on the second drive.

Reaction score
Cheers for the advice :D ..... I've bitten the bullet and installed a few of the programs I'd intended to keep away from my windows C drive. The PC hasn't barfed at me ... yet, so here'e keeping my fingers crossed.

As to why I wanted to do this in the first place, = I have a couple of programs which tend to cause a lot of file fragmentation while in use. I DO use a stand-alone defragger, but I'd rather the operating system drive stayed tidy as much as possible, ..... but not at the risk of jiggering it up by putting things where it doesn't want.

I'll let you know if there's any issues in the near future, ... but things seem fine so far, thanks.

Glad I called by,
Cheers chaps :)

Reaction score
Hi Boothy99 - Welcome to w7forums

If you couldn't install the programs anywhere you wanted too, there would not be an installation option for browsing to a new destination folder.

I keep all my files on a second partition. While I usually keep all my programs installed in the default locations, there is nothing preventing me from moving them to a different partition as well. The only errors you would run into, would be if you remove the installation partition and windows could no longer find the files.

BTW, I do have one game installed to a second drive because the install folder is so large I didn't want it on my OS partition. Shows how much of a gamer I am, one game(Oblivion) installed. :lol:

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Well if you install Oblivion plus a ton of the user-generated mods, it can get quite large so I would not blame anyone for installing it on a separate drive or partition

Reaction score
Hmmm, an intruiging idea with this.. I actually hadn't thought about doing this..
3 questions to add if I might..

1st. can I create the programs folder on the seperate partition and simply copy them over now without issues?

2nd. What about the desktop shortcuts would they need to be recreated to point to the new location?

3rd. If I am dual booting, can I still install programs from either to the new partition and would I need to create those folders 2 times for the 2 versions of the os?
ie, windows7program files, windows7 program files (x86) then the same for vista?

Thanks~

Reaction score
Hi willmsbrg - Welcome to w7forums

There is more in the "Programs Files" folder than programs that are installed. Its best to leave alone what is already there and install the new applications to the new location. If you try to move the folder manually, you will most likely break links that will crash your operating system.

Question 3 is a nice thought but if you think about the differences in the operating systems and the fact that they may use different versions of files. It would not be wise to dual boot and install applications from both operating systems to the same folder. You can share data between the operating systems but would not be wise in sharing the install folders for both. If there is any little change in the install folder from one operating system the other operating system may run into errors.

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome~~

I probably didn't make it as clear in writing as I did in me own head on the end of that~~ I sort of figured there are subtle differences between 7 and vista...
I meant have like 4 folders 2 for 7 as above and 2 for vista.. named for the specific os...

Kind of figured it might cause breaks by moving them now after they are already installed... Perhaps on my next re-install I will place all the programs seperately partitioned.. All except CS4 that program is difficult enough normally.. sheeesh~~

Reaction score
Kind of figured it might cause breaks by moving them now after they are already installed... Perhaps on my next re-install I will place all the programs seperately partitioned.. All except CS4 that program is difficult enough normally.. sheeesh~~
You could still move them if you would consider un-installing them first. This would allow for installing them to the new location and cleaning most of the file out of the original Program Files location.

Reaction score
Hi again,
I've been installing and running a number of programs over the last few days through the second hard drive, and it seems W7 is behaving just fine with them.

I ran into a temporary glitch initially, but found it was simply a compatibility issue, and nothing to do with installation on the 2nd drive. W7 did a nice job of setting up the program to run in XP / service pack 2 mode. No problems since then.

I wish I'd asked sooner, before my Son installed World Of Warcraft on C, haha. Ah well, ... will have to live with that one for now.

Thanks again to all of you who offered advice.

Cheers.

Reaction score
You could still move them if you would consider un-installing them first. This would allow for installing them to the new location and cleaning most of the file out of the original Program Files location.
As I just did a nice new clean install of windows7/vista and got everything nice and clean and running perfectly at the moment, I think I will add the folders for new program installs and leave the current ones the way they are. :)

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
A second HDD is the best place for large apps (eg) Games, as it wont bog down your OS.

Reaction score
Bogged down OS?

Please explain to me how installing games "bogs down your OS". They are not running at startup. It's startup apps and services that slow down your OS not installed software.
That's what defragging is for anyway.

On the contrary I'm going to install all my games on my primary drive (THE FASTEST DRIVE!) with the OS and save the backup drive for files and apps that I don't use much and that aren't as demanding as games.

The other benefit is if your primary drive goes, as mentioned above you only lose your OS & installed games, not the important stuff.

Save your faster drive for games.

Ask a Question