Installation

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question, but I have three hard drives on my machine, C, E and F. Presently, my C drive is where my Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit is located and to which my machine boots.

I would like to avoid messing it up until I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit is up and running. Can I install it on one of my other hard drives, making the hard drive bootable, and then designate that hard drive as the first boot source afterwards? I just don't want to lose everything.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Thats not a dumb question and yes you can.

I must ask if you have the upgrade or full version of Windows 7?

Reaction score
  1. Remove the drive that has Vista.
  2. Install Windows 7.
  3. Connect the Vista drive.
After you have your system booting to Windows 7 with both drives attached. You can use EasyBCD to setup Multi-boot options for Booting both operating systems.

Reaction score
If you won't remove the VISTA drive, Win7 setup should do the Multi boot option for you.

Reaction score
If you don't remove the drive Windows 7 may place boot files on the Vista drive. And when you try to remove vista in the future Windows 7 will not boot. I was trying to save you alittle time in the future by making sure all files are in place now.

Ask a Question