Installation or Restoration...oh yeah...and RAM

Reaction score
Hello, Hello,

I am going to purchase a Notebook with Windows 7 Premium pre-installed. The salesman I spoke to said that it doesn't come with the OS Disc or Restoration Discs. The only way I can get the Notebook back up and running if I have problems is if I make my own Restoration Discs (3 - 4 DVD's). I asked if I could install Windows 7 Home Peremium (Retail) from the disc I have already purchased (activated on another pc) & use the Product Key from the Notebook to set up the Notebook to my liking but he said no. Is he telling me the truth or can I use my own Win 7 disc, the notebooks Product Key & successfully activate for internet use?

The Notebooks specs are
Model number: C650/01E
Processor: Core i3 350 2.26GHZ
HDD: 320GB
Win 7 Premium
DVD Writer
15.6 Widescreen
Onboard Graphics: Not stated
Intergrated Wireless
2GB RAM

The salesman also said that the 2GB RAM wasn't enough & that I needed 4GB, (like the more expensive model next to it) even though I told him the notebook was primarily going to be used for internet surfing (wireless) with a little bit of audio playback (iTunes) & the occasional movie. Is 2GB RAM enough for what I intend to do?

Thanks,

Shantelle

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You did not specify 32bit or 64bit OS. 2GB is fine for 32bit and is the minimum for 64bit but it will absolutely do surfing and audio playback.

When the computer comes you actually burn the OS to DVDs - DO THAT FIRST.

Then if you want to install from your copy YOU CAN BUT there are issues to consider/resolve: all the crapware they install won't be loaded - they probably install 12 programs of which you want one (like the keyboard hotkeys which also shows onscreen volume) but yours won't install any ... decide do you need it, can you find an alternative? Also you won't have the drivers, download all the drivers for your computer from the PC manufacturer and burn them to a CD or put on a flash drive BEFORE you reinstall.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Is he telling me the truth or can I use my own Win 7 disc, the notebooks Product Key & successfully activate for internet use?
No, he is lying. You can use your disc along with the product key on the back of your laptop.

You can make backup discs with Windows 7 Backup, but it sucks and doesn't always work correctly. If you want a good free backup program, use Macrium Reflect Free. Just Google it and you'll find it.

Most people get confused about Windows 7, it's the PRODUCT KEY that differentiates between whether or not it's a Full Retail disc install, an Upgrade Retail disc install or its an OEM install. In addition, the key works for either a 32-bit or 64-bit install. Just one install per product key though.

You can also install the other laptop software also, such as the hotkeys and that stuff. Just download them from the laptop maker's website. Be sure to download the correct drivers also before you do the install and save them to an external drive or a thumb drive.

You didn't state whether you're using a 32-bit or 64-bit on the laptop. If it was me I would do the 64-bit, you'll be fine with the 2GB of RAM and you can always add more at a later date.

If you need to download the 64-bit version of Home Premium go here for the ISO image download and then burn to a good quality blank DVD with ImgBurn at no faster than 8X burn speed and the verify the burn on ImgBurn too.

https://www.w7forums.com/windows-7-iso-official-direct-download-links-t2910.html

I hope this answers some of your questions and gets you started.

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses.

Silly me, I forgot to mention that I will be using 32bit.

Nibiru2012
Thanks for the link but my Retail copy of Home Premium came with both 32 & 64bit Discs and, as you say, backup discs don't always work correctly hence my desire to install from the DVD in future.

Thanks again,

Shantelle.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I still believe you should create the back-up discs before you install your retail version, just to protect yourself if there are software or driver problems or some weird reason you disks don't work on that computer, it may well be worth a DVD-R and 30 minutes of your time. Plus if you ever sell it or return it to the manufacturer then you have the distributed version to reinstall.

Reaction score
Hello again,

A quick update to let everyone know that you can use your own Windows 7 Home Premium DVD (Retail) & the Product Key from a newly purchased Notebook (Windows 7 Home Premium OEM pre-installed), reformat the hard drive to remove bloatware, activate & gain internet access. The only issue I ran into was when I tried to activate over the internet. A message popped up informing me my Activation Limit had been reached. I rang Microsoft & activated by phone & now my new Notebook is activated, updated & running like a dream.

Shantelle.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Hello again,

A quick update to let everyone know that you can use your own Windows 7 Home Premium DVD (Retail) & the Product Key from a newly purchased Notebook (Windows 7 Home Premium OEM pre-installed), reformat the hard drive to remove bloatware, activate & gain internet access. The only issue I ran into was when I tried to activate over the internet. A message popped up informing me my Activation Limit had been reached. I rang Microsoft & activated by phone & now my new Notebook is activated, updated & running like a dream.

Shantelle.

That's great to hear! I figured it would probably go like as you described. Some users are very paranoid of MS and keys. It's not like the Empire is going to park the Death Star outside your home and send Darth Vader or the Emperor to the door to check on you. Of all the times in the past I had to use MS Tech Support on reinstalls with my OEM XP Pro, 99.99% of the time they were very friendly, understanding and resolved the activation issue.

Ask a Question