Installation not completed

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a HP Pavilion Entertainment dv6000 and wanted to install Windows7.

Here's what's happening.

Somehow the DVD drive couldn't read the Windows7 DVD. It reads any other DVD but not the Windows7 installation one. I tried the same W7 DVD in my friends laptop and it worked fine, so I assume is the driver problem. Don't know. Anyway.

I managed to create an ISO from the DVD and copied the files into my USB hard drive. Then I change the boot to USB hard drive and was finally able to install Windows7 via the USB HD. Cool.

Installation is running smoothly when I get an error (which I can't remember what did it say). Laptop restarted and now I can't get it to start installation again.

It shows the Windows logo starting, then the blue flowerish Windows7 background (as if it was going to complete the installation) with the message "Setup is starting services".

Immediatelly a box pops up with the message:

"The computer restarted unexpectedly or encoutered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click "OK" to restart the computer, and then restart installation."

Fine Windows, I click OK, computer restarts but I can't get it to read the USB hard drive anymore. I tried to force boot using the USB hd but it looks like it's ignoring it and falls again on the same screen, windows logo, blue background image etc etc.

So now I'm locked on this step. Can't re-format, can't read the USB hd, can't read DVD, just stuck! Help!!

Any suggestion please??

Thanks guys

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
jubamad, welcome to the forum! If I'm not mistaken, a Windows OS won't load from a USB DVD drive. Somewhere on this forum, I've seen the same problem before.

What you may need to do is load whatever OS you had on the computer prior to the Windows 7 install attempt, and repair the DVD ROM. Most likely, it's a driver problem, if all was working before.

Best of Luck,
Cat

Reaction score
hi Cat,

Thanks for the quick reply!

The DVD ROM can read any other DVD (movies, data, etc) but didn't read the W7 one. I found many people on Google installing Windows using a USB drive, don't think that's an issue.

The installation was running fine. It went 100% completed, asked to restart, then after restarting the system was continuing the setup process when I got an error which didn't give me a clue. So it restarted again and now I'm stuck.

I will try restoring the system to the previous one.

Thanks Cat

Ask a Question