SOLVED Install network printer on USB of Belkin Router?

Reaction score
Greetings,
I am trying to install a printer on a usb port on my N750DB Router
so that i can print from my X220(ThinkPad Tablet) and SNY(SonyLaptop)
following these instr @
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/...d-other-wireless-or-network-devices#section_2

The X220 setup works fine(can print).
The SNY can't print, though it does cause the X220 to beep (like it is starting a print operation) and then X220 beeps again (like it is ending a print operation).
But the printer gives no indication that it has been contacted.

I have been going 'round and 'round with the Belkin people.
All to no avail, they just guide me thru the exact steps that I used.

I still have the HP D1341 printer (from before the Belkin) defined as a local printer
on both X220 and SNY. I would like to keep these two definitions for a printer
backup.
Under Devices-and-Printers for X220, it shows only the D1341 local (not network).
Under Devices-and-Printers for SNY, it shows the D1341 local and the Network
D1341 printer as X220(computerName). Two printers.

Can someone please help me thru this?

Thanks...Vernon

Reaction score
Hope this helps as it for usb storage devices but might give you some idea.

http://en-us-support.belkin.com/app...network-to-share-files,-folders,-and-printers

Personally I've never heard of that scenario and not sure if that is even possible. Normally you would install the printer to a PC and then on the other PC/laptops on the network you would use the "devices and printers" tab from the start menu, click add printer, the select "add network, wireless or blue tooth" and let windows install the driver. Thats how I've all ways done it.

Reaction score
Hope this helps as it for usb storage devices but might give you some idea.

http://en-us-support.belkin.com/app...network-to-share-files,-folders,-and-printers

Personally I've never heard of that scenario and not sure if that is even possible. Normally you would install the printer to a PC and then on the other PC/laptops on the network you would use the "devices and printers" tab from the start menu, click add printer, the select "add network, wireless or blue tooth" and let windows install the driver. Thats how I've all ways done it.
Yes, I use this same procedure.
Thanks for the link.
From your link, i notice that my "networking USB devices" shows "belkin usb print and storage center" then shows this message:
"A compatible Belkin router with USB port was not found on your network".
That would explain why i can't print with my SNY computer.
But why then can I print on my X220 computer.
I have been working on this problem for a week now.

Anybody?
Thanks...Vernon

Reaction score
Are the drivers loaded on all the network PC's? Have you gone to Belkin's website and downloaded any drivers associated with this router? Is there a firmware update for your router? Do you have the latest driver/software for your printer installed? Are there any issues showing up in device manager? Sometimes a complete uninstall and reinstall of the software/drivers corrects some nagging issues that linger.

Reaction score
Are the drivers loaded on all the network PC's? Have you gone to Belkin's website and downloaded any drivers associated with this router? Is there a firmware update for your router? Do you have the latest driver/software for your printer installed? Are there any issues showing up in device manager? Sometimes a complete uninstall and reinstall of the software/drivers corrects some nagging issues that linger.
Yes, to all above.
I haven't yet done a 'complete uninstall and reinstall '.
Does installing a network printer have anything to do with Homegroup.
Do I need both?
Thanks...vm

Reaction score
Yes and no, it the printer installation is corrupted then any printer on the network will not be able to use it. An un-install and re-install generally fixes a corrupted install. As for the homegroup, makes sure all the homegroup PC's are connected to the same workgroup name. Under windows 7 it's called workgroup and in xp it's called homegroup.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Setting-up-a-home-network

Reaction score
Print to Printer on USB of Belkin N750DB with win7-HomePremium?

I have given up trying to network my two laptops (win7-Pro , win7-HP) to print
to Printer on USB of Belkin N750DB.
Now, I am aiming for 'Print to Printer on USB of Belkin N750DB with win7-HomePremium'.
By the following:
[[
- Make sure could please uninstalled the Printer drivers from the sony laptop and connect the USB cable from the laptop to the printer, Installed the drivers for the printer on the Laptop
- It will create Local Printer network

- connect the USB cable from Printer to Router,
- Now could you please try with your sony laptop
- It will work.
]]
I am now able to view the "Hp Deskjet D1300 series" entry in BelkinNetworkMonitor.
And I am able to print a test page.
But other than the HP-Deskjet-D1341 in win7-HP Devices-and-Printers.
I see no indication in win7-HP that there is a Printer attached to the Router.
I can see the Belkin-N750DB Router, but no printer.

Anyways, still can't print to printer from a program( other than a Print-testPage).

Please, help!
Thanks...vmars

Reaction score
I have given up trying to network my two laptops (win7-Pro , win7-HP) to print
to Printer on USB of Belkin N750DB.
Now, I am only aiming for 'Print to Printer on USB of Belkin N750DB with win7-HomePremium'.

Thanks...vmars316

Last edited by a moderator:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Unless you can actually do something on the computer to cause a test page to print from the printer then the test page is generated by the printer itself and proves absolutely nothing about the printer being seen by the router or the computer(s).

If you hang the printer off your Belkin then it is a network printer; to print to it you have to have your W7:HomePrem computer networked properly and the Belkin needs to recognize it as a printer.

Plug the printer directly into the W7:HomePrem computer and print something just to make sure the computer has the correct drivers loaded. Then plug it back into the router.

Belkin said:
Via the Belkin Router Manager, open the USB Print and Storage Center. Check that the printer appears in the list of available devices. View the properties of the printer, and check that “auto-connect” is selected.
If it doesn't appear here then the printer may not be one of the models the router will support.

If it is there, then on the W7:HomePrem computer go to Control Panel > Devices & Printers and select Add a printer. Pick add a network, wireless or bluetooth printer and if the router sees it then it should be in the list. Select it and choose next.

Reaction score
Ugh!
Before i started all this printer/belkin stuff the D1341 printer worked fine as a local printer. But now as i tried to (attach printer to laptop) print locally, the print que just hangs. No printing.
What a mess.
So yes, the d1341 driver, i now have installed, doesn't work.
I downloaded this HP-SF_CDA_NonNet_Full_Win_WW_130_140.exe .
It worked fine on my win7-pro laptop.
But on this win7-hp it doesn't work,
and worse, every time i Restart my computer, the HP-photoSmartEssentials
starts right up, in a seemingly endless loop.
So i called HP and they won't support it. They won't even give me the $37.00 one year support deal. They suggest that i buy a new printer.

So i have a few new questions:
1) how can i stop hp from starting its install everytime i RESTART my laptop?
2) Where can i get a driver for 'hp d1341' printer, or 'D1300 series'?
3) And if i do download the propper driver, can i install it from flash drive as "have disk"?

Thanks...vmars

Reaction score
Today i unistalled
everything HP from my win7-hp(homePremium).
Everything from this update: HP-SF_CDA_NonNet_Full_Win_WW_130_140.exe
and
i tried to install the (HP-D1341-)driver_only_webpack_enu_NB.exe
from HP website, but it claimed my computer wasn't compatible
with the driver above, because it wasn't a win98 or winXP computer.

Anyways, just in case the driver did get installed,
I tried to print locally. And voila, i could print locally.
Then I plugged the printer into N750db usb.
And strangely enough, it printed there too.
Anyways, I think that tomorrow i'll try to network both laptops to N750Db.

The driver name that shows on my win7-hp is
HP Deskjet D1300 series (61.63.247.0).
?? Is there a way to save this current DRIVER to cd or flashDrive. ??

These driver files seem to be sprinkled here:
C:\windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\hppipnss.inf_amd64_neutral_2a65bd00299a2df6
and here:
C:\windows\System32\spool\drivers\x64\3

Thanks...vmars

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Also I am getting confused because HP is normally Hewlett-Packard and apparently is the maker of your printer but you also seem to be abbreviating W7 Home Premium as W7-HP. The fact is it doesn't matter whether your computer is Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate. What can matter is whether it is 32-bit or 64-bit but that installer you used is for both 32 and 64-bit so perhaps it simply did not install correctly.

FYI: driver_only_webpack_enu_NB is for Windows XP. From what I've read basic deskjet functionality should be built into the W7 OS.

So next time or on another computer I would go to Control Panel > Programs and Features and simply uninstall HP photo essentials and any other HP software that may have installed. Then make sure the printer is plugged into the computer and turned on. Go to Control Panel > Devices and Printers. If your printer is not in the list then choose Add a Printer ... Add a local Printer ... etc.

Anyway it sounds like you have it currently. There should be no need to save that driver to a CD/flashdrive.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, I confuse myself sometimes
by "win7-HP" i mean windows7-HomePremium.
I have seen "win7-HP" used on other forums.
I tried to be consistent, but may have messed up.

Anyways, I uninstalled ALL HP software.
And all is well.
Thanks all, for your help!...Vernon

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I wouldn't say you messed up, acronyms can often mean several things, but I found having two HPs in the same post a bit confusing at times.

Glad you got it worked out.

Ask a Question