Install 32 bit program on 64 bit machine

Reaction score
I am trying to install Autodesk Civil3D 2008 on my new Windows 7 (64bit) machine and it says its unable to install due to the program being 32 bit. I read something about running in 32 bit compatibility mode to run the 32 bit program but am hesitant to change my settings and am a little unfamiliar with executing my machine into 32 bit compatibility mode. Any suggestions for enabling my machine to install/run this program, and any 32-bit program for that matter in case I run into this problem again.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]LinrbEtffck[/MEDIA]"]Here's a video clip from Autodesk you may find useful.[/ame]

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Assuming the DVD is not faulty, there is no reason why the programwill not install on the 64Bit OS.
I am not aware of any compatibilty mode for 32Bit, but it may exist. But it would be superfluous, as Windows 7 has the function built in.
But, you could see if there is a version compatibility problem. Right click the install file and select the compatibility tab. Try selecting Vista mode. close the window and rerun the install.

Reaction score
I guess I can try to see if our reseller can send us a 64 bit version. I believe they do have a 64 bit edition. I actually have downloaded and installed the Windows Virtual PC, which enabled my machine to run in XP mode, which supposedly you are able to install older XP based programs on, but I cannot connect to my work's network using it. So as of now I am trying to get that figured out. Thanks.

Reaction score
Hello Bucky,
Just a bit of FYI to understand the issues with 32-bit and 64-bit OS upgrades and later options that may or may not be available to you later:
When upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 you must upgrade the version currently installed within Windows Vista to the corresponding version in Windows 7. I.E. Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium; Windows Vista Business to Windows 7 Professional; and Windows Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate. You also cannot upgrade a 32-bit operating system to 64-bit -- to migrate from 32-bit to 64-bit will require a custom install.
Additionally, you will not be able to "upgrade" from a 32-bit version of Windows 7 to 64-bit -- the architecture between the two is too drastically different to allow such a change. To learn more about the differences between a 32-bit operating system and 64-bit please go to the following link: http://bit.ly/2aT3xP
I hope that helps you out!
You can also find lots of information on Windows 7 here in our Springboard website:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx
Thanks again,
John M.
Microsoft Windows Client Support

Ask a Question