64 bit - Do I have to reinstall all my programs?

Reaction score
I have a bit of a problem with windows 7... I used the update manager and for 64-Bit it said I have to reinstall all my programs and do an adapted installation. Oh another question, how does that installation work? What has to be adapted.

Thank you.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Nammen - Welcome to the Windows 7 forum website! We hope the info you'll find here will be of use to you.

If you're running XP then you'll need to do what's termed as a Clean Install (custom install is what Windows 7 calls it.)

If you have Vista you can do an upgrade IF the Vista is 64 bit OS, if not then you'll have to do as with XP.

It it not possible to upgrade from a 32 bit OS to a 64 OS. It must always be done as a Clean Install.

I hope this answers your questions, remember to download all the 64 bit drivers for your computer's hardware such a mobo, video card, sound card, printer, etc. before you do the install. Save the drivers on a thumb drive or CD-RW.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Nammen, welcome to the forum! When upgrading an OS, no matter which, but we're talking about Windows 7 here, is backing up and having all of the necessary drivers available BEFORE the install. This alone accounts for many of the problems with installs that I see posted on here. Don't rush it. A Windows 7 install can be the easiest ever with the necessary preparation. And should you have an older computer, a post installation visit to Driver Max (they have a free option) will work wonders. It did for me. On a Dell Latitude C640, 8 years old. Runs fine, but no Aero.

Ask a Question