Immediate Shutdown Issues

Reaction score
Just yesterday I began having immediate shutdown issues w/o warning. No blue screen, just immediate power down. I have to power on to reboot and after startup screen it will again just immediate power down to black. On reboot I get the "Windows did not shut down properly" and have booted into safe mode several times to check issue, then rebooted. Even did start up repair this morning. Worked fine for a while while in Thunderbird, then again did immediate shut down of its own accord after about 5 minutes.

All updates to Norton and Win 7 Ultimate are the same on my Sony Viao, and no problems with it.

I suspect a possible hardware issue, heating up maybe? Please help. I have mirrored data drives, and system is on a stand alone drive. I back up the c:system/user data files regularly. I can do a M/B and CPU upgrade with 7 ultimate and then reactivate, I know. Help.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
If the hardware is powering down, and not the software, then it's probably the processor's built-in thermal protection kicking in, signaling an issue with the processor's cooling.

Make sure the cpu fan is running, or in the absence of one that the heatsink hasn't come loose.

Ask a Question