SOLVED IE 9 Homepage Won't Change

Reaction score
A couple of years ago new software installed crapware that captured my homepage and wouldn't allow me to change it back to my preferred. I ultimately found the appropriate steps in this forum to rectify that. As I recall, it called for removal of a startup program and a registry change, but I'm not certain.

I recently removed a few unused programs and ran a registry cleaner. My IE 9 homepage was immediately changed to about:blank (no caps & no space). I used WinPatrol Plus to look at my startup programs and I don't see anything obvious. I also searched my registry for keywords homepage and blank. There was nothing obvious there, either.

I'm confident that this isn't a redirect virus.

Any suggestions for recovering my homepage?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
In IE9 go to the page you want to be your homepage.
Now go to Tools > Internet Options > General Tab
Click the Use Current button

That should set the homepage for where IE opens when you start it. If it does not then I would suspect maybe you never got rid of all the virus; maybe it left a toolbar installed which redirects you to a specific homepage.

Then you can also set whether it opens anything when you click on a new tab:
Still on Tools > Internet Options > General Tab
Under the section "Change how webpages are displayed in tabs," click Settings
Under "When a new tab is opened, open," you have a dropdown list to choose blank or the tab page or the first home page.

Reaction score
In IE9 go to the page you want to be your homepage.
Now go to Tools > Internet Options > General Tab
Click the Use Current button

That should set the homepage for where IE opens when you start it. If it does not then I would suspect maybe you never got rid of all the virus; maybe it left a toolbar installed which redirects you to a specific homepage.

Then you can also set whether it opens anything when you click on a new tab:
Still on Tools > Internet Options > General Tab
Under the section "Change how webpages are displayed in tabs," click Settings
Under "When a new tab is opened, open," you have a dropdown list to choose blank or the tab page or the first home page.
Oh! Dumb me! I thought that the thread subject: IE 9 Homepage Won't Change implied that I had attempted to change the homepage. Yes, I tried to change it by using both Tools > Internet Options > General and the pull down associated with the Home (Alt + M) icon.

I'll try to make myself clear the next time.

Reaction score
I installed IE 10. I was then able to use Tools/Internet Options/General-Home page to return to my preferred. Neither Tools/Internet Options/General-Home page nor the pull-down associated with the Home (Alt + M) icon would allow it when I was using IE 9.

Ask a Question