I.E. not working----

KLO

Reaction score
I keep having a problem with IE. The message I get is: I E has stopped working correctly. Windows willl close the program and notify you if a solution is available. This happends VERY often, sometimes I can't even stay on the net because of this. Do any of you have any idea of what is going on? This is a brand new computer, an HP, running Win 7 so I am very unhappy with this!

Reaction score
Hi KLO - Welcome to w7forums

Look for "Manage Addons" from the "Tools" section of the "Menu Bar".
Disable all your addons and see if that helps. Then you can enable them one by one if that seems to be the problem.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
And if that doesn't help, upgrade to a real web browser, like Firefox, Chromium, or Opera.

Reaction score
Core just because you don't like IE doesn't mean you have to bash IE. I use IE and for the most part I don't have any troubles with it. Those are nice suggestions but please stop bashing what you don't like.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
KLO, welcome to the fourms! Are you using the 32 bit IE? There should be a 32 and 64 bit version on your computer. Most are using the 32 bit version over the 64 bit one, with better results. I had to do the same as Clifford described above once with IE. I hope you get your issue resolved soon.

Reaction score
I have the same error "Internet Explorer has stopped working" with 32bit version, even when running the "No Add-ons" version. The 64bit version works fine, but as everyone knows, Flash has yet to be updated to work with 64bit version.

This is happening on all my new computers that have Windows 7 and Office 2007 installed.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
BTW, I have also tried turning IE 8 off, rebooting and turning it back on.
(via "Turning Windows Features on or off")

And still, the IE 64bit works, while IE 32bit does not.

Reaction score
And if that doesn't help, upgrade to a real web browser, like Firefox, Chromium, or Opera.
Having tried Fire fox and discarded it, I personally would definitely NOT say that installing it would be an upgrade. Have you tried System restore? Do you have a back up in a program like Acronis?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I have the same error "Internet Explorer has stopped working" with 32bit version, even when running the "No Add-ons" version. The 64bit version works fine, but as everyone knows, Flash has yet to be updated to work with 64bit version.

This is happening on all my new computers that have Windows 7 and Office 2007 installed.

Any suggestions?
If you cannot get IE stable enough for you to use, you can try running it in Compatibility Mode, if you can apply that to IE. Otherwise, Firefox would be a good browser to use, I use it on a daily basis, with no issues. There are three more that you can try, too. As Core mentioned, there's also Chrome and Opera. Safari is also a good one. You don't have to permanently use these if you don't want, use them until you get the issues with IE resolved. You may actually like one of the alternates better. Firefox is the most customisable browser on the market, with many add on's to choose from. P.S. Clifford, I'm not bashing IE, just giving the member some alternatives from which to choose.:)

Last edited:

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
BTW, I have also tried turning IE 8 off, rebooting and turning it back on.
(via "Turning Windows Features on or off")

And still, the IE 64bit works, while IE 32bit does not.
Have you tried Clifford's suggestion in his first post above? Because if 64bit IE works, then it is likely a plug-in, add-on, or other integrated program that is installed in 32bit IE but doesn't install in the 64bit version (which happens to be most of them).

KLO

Reaction score
I'm running 64 bits, how do you change to 32 bits? Until I get this issue resolved I downloaded Firefox and am using it. This is the first time I have had trouble with IE, especially with a new computer!

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I'm running 64 bits, how do you change to 32 bits? Until I get this issue resolved I downloaded Firefox and am using it. This is the first time I have had trouble with IE, especially with a new computer!
Reinstall Windows using a 32-bit edition disc.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Do you really want to downgrade to 32 bit just because IE doesn't work? You will only be able to access 3GB of RAM by doing this. Plus, most 32 bit programs run well in 64 bit computers. I just don't see what it will accomplish. You stated you are using Firefox, I do too, and you can do a lot with the browser. You do have the right to use the browser of your choice, if IE can't do what you want, use Firefox until you find a solution to your IE issue. Downgrading to 32 bit is a step backwards, not forward. Don't give up, you may find a solution as more answers come in. My personal experience with computers has learned me to have patience. It helps a lot to try something else and keep going.

Reaction score
I did already try IE (No Add-ons) from the System Tools. Nonetheless, I disabled all the add-ons, too. That only succeeded in letting IE actually open a window successfully, teasingly, as though everything were okay. But the moment I tried to click on a menu item or type in the URL, the same message appeared.

As for Firefox, I love it, and use it most of the time. Unfortunately, I am setting up a computer that will be used to browse websites in Chinese, and many Chinese websites seem to only work with IE, possibly because they are using IE-specific codes. Firefox does not seem to be popular enough among Chinese readers for web developers to test their websites with it.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
What about your security settings? Have you tried resetting them to default? Have you tried to disable your anti-virus to see if that makes a difference?

Last edited:

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
This may be a redundant suggestion, but have you tried using the IETab add-on for Firefox? It opens a web page in IE, but in a Firefox tab. I'm not holding out much hope that it would be more stable, but it's worth a shot if you really need IE compatibility.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Changing to a 32 bit OS won't solve your problem.

Did you download all the updates for Windows 7? There are some fixes for IE8 in those downloads.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. However, my security settings were always set to default and my Windows Update (which is turnedon) says I'm already up to date.

But now this issue is taking more time than it's worth. After all, Adobe will eventually put out a IE 64-bit-compatible Flash plug-in, right?

Until then, Firefox!

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Well from what it sounds like you're saying, you're using IE8 64 bit.

Just use IE8 32 bit, both browsers are on the computer. The IE8 icon in the system tray is the 32 bit version.

One has to look for the 64 bit IE8 under programs section.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Well from what it sounds like you're saying, you're using IE8 64 bit.

Just use IE8 32 bit, both browsers are on the computer. The IE8 icon in the system tray is the 32 bit version.

One has to look for the 64 bit IE8 under programs section.
Like he said, he was using the 64-bit version because it's the 32-bit one that keeps crashing. He didn't want to use the 64-bit version, however, because Adobe can't be arsed to release Flash for it.

Ask a Question