Huge Files - are they needed

Reaction score
I have many large files, often .dll or suffix '.. installer'. In particular I would ask about:
1. MSORES.dll I have 2 identical copies so I deleted one but that caused havoc. Why?
2. These files baffle me. Do I need them? winre.wim, xul.dll (Firefox), chrome_child.dll , msmlocal. files,
3. Are there any prefixes or suffices on other big files I can dispense with?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Just randomly deleting files you don't understand could leave your computer inoperable, so with the exception of installers you would be best to leave the files you mentioned.

If you want to clean up files from your computer then I suggest you install CCleaner & let it suggest safer choices including many installers. Even CCleaner is not foolproof but it does a better job than you will by just guessing.

Reaction score
Hopefully. my adding to TrainableMan's post won't be frowned upon and I am doing that because of the reference by the OP to the dll files, which I wish to point out are a set of files that nobody should mess with unless they really, really know what they are doing!

Let me call upon Microsoft to help here:

And the first two paragraphs under the "Introduction" heading are very good to highlight my reason for stating that unless you really know what you're doing, don't mess with those dll files.

: : : : : : : : : : Copying : : : : : : : : : :

For the Microsoft Windows operating systems that are listed in the "Applies to" section, much of the functionality of the operating system is provided by dynamic link libraries (DLL). Additionally, when you run a program on one of these Windows operating systems, much of the functionality of the program may be provided by DLLs. For example, some programs may contain many different modules, and each module of the program is contained and distributed in DLLs.

The use of DLLs helps promote modularization of code, code reuse, efficient memory usage, and reduced disk space. Therefore, the operating system and the programs load faster, run faster, and take less disk space on the computer.

: : : : : : : : : : Finished : : : : : : : : : :

Ask a Question