How to stop this msg.

Reaction score
Well I think that I have managed to "unfiddle" my fiddling ( I really should leave well enough alone) anyway, think I have my start menu working properly again but now on some but not all I get this pop-up window which I have to click on before the program will load.
It is not UAC as I have that set as low as it will go.
So what do I need to do to remove this box from coming up. It never used to happen till I "played" with stuff.
the thing is it's not a "file from the internet" as the box claims but a legitimate program I run all the time.

Attachments

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You sure it has nothing to do with the internet?
It looks like a IE security warning.
If you can associate it with a particualr site, you can putit in the "Trusted sites" under the IE security tab,

Reaction score
I don't use i.e Dave. I think it all comes back to when my links got screwed up and my FF bookmarks had all the usual bookmarks as well as program links and my start>program had all my programs as well as all my internet bookmarks. Almost but not quite fubar'ed

Reaction score
Ok, I've found a couple of things. That msg seems to be coming from My firewall Comodo although not sure why yet as they are trusted programsand it's never done it before.
Also found that even if I clicked the windows the orb to bring up program list it would still do it until I right clicked on the program and told it to pin to start menu. Again something I must have done when we were fiddling. However it wont work with all the programs, they will load from bringing them up from the windows orb but they don't have their own icons associated with them but rather just a folder icon, if I click on those type I get that msg and then if i click ok they will load.

Reaction score
Thanks Dave, I've also discovered (just throwing this all out there hopefully giving someone a clue) that those programs that wont let me pin them to start menu and always bring up that msg when I open them will open without that message if I pin them to the taskbar.
It's gotta be something I've screwed up in where the system thinks it's files and folders are, some kind of screwed up link.

Reaction score
Looking at that link it sure looks similar to my issue but why? These are all programs that have been fine for ages. Plus I never downloaded them I.E

Last edited:
Reaction score
1. Clear browser cookies, history, and cache -- do it manually via internet options.

2. Scan your system for malware/viruses.

Reaction score
Cookies, Hx and Cache cleared each time I close the browser.
Systems clean. Pretty sure it's something in how the links are pointing to the .exe files. Just don't kow how to fix it.
Everything normal again apart from getting the box popping up when I click on some programs to start them.

Reaction score
It wont be Mailwasher Pro, your only seeing that name as it happened to be the one I saved as an example to post. If I were to open another program entirely I'd get the same box just with the name of whatever program I was opening that time.

Reaction score
Control Panel > User accounts > Create a new admin account and see if the message persists.

Reaction score
Message persists under new admin account. Start menu looks the same. Desktop (as expected) is different. Made sure I was logged out of my normal account before trying the other.

Ask a Question