How to improve visual clarity of my computer

Reaction score
Ever since i installed Win 7 in my PC and began using Windows Live Mail, the clarity of the text in both email messages and on other screens in general has been so LIGHT..I can hardly read it . The same problem exists in both my desktop and laptop so i assume the issue is related to Win 7 , not anything related to the hardware. I have tried everything i know using various elements of the Control Panel but to no avail. When i had Win XP as my OS and used Outlook Express for email i had no problem. All text was sharp and black in color and I could read it easily. I am old so im sure that is part of the problem,but it is only part and I am hoping someone can help me figure out how to sharpen the color and clarity of the text so i can continue to enjoy using a computer. Maybe i should reinstall my Win XP so i could read everything again but i really dont want to do that if I can avoid it.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Reaction score
There is a built-in adjustment tool you can try. Right click on the desktop and select "Personalize" at the bottom of the context menu. Then look on the bottom of the panel on the left of the window that opens and select "Display". On the panel on the left of the next window that opens, near the top, select "Adjust ClearType text". The ClearType Text Tuner should open, enable "Turn on ClearType" if it is not already enabled. Then go through the remaining pages of the Tuner to make further adjustments.

This Tuner is a useful tool, I don't know why Microsoft made it so hard to find.

You can also search Google for instructions on how to make the "GodMode" folder. This is a folder that will contain links to all the customization tools in Windows 7, making it much easier to get to things you may need to adjust to make your PC a true personal computer.

Reaction score
thanks. i will try that but i think i have already done so in the past without success.Actually i was able to improve the clarity of the incoming email a lot by increasing and checking ..fixed...in the VIEW drop down box so that has helped a lot. As it turns out my biggest problem is that i am old and my vision is really deteriorating. Guess i need some new and stronger glasses!! thanks again.:)

Reaction score
Bill...do you see a problem with running MSE and Avast concurrently? I have always assumed that running two anti virus programs simultaneously was ill advised. In fact Avast offers a version of its anti virus software which can run compatibly with another anti virus program , or so it says. I did that for a few days and finally decided to uninstall AVG and go with Avast and also MSE. Your thoughts appreciated.

Reaction score
I don't know who Bill is, but if you don't mind my 2 cents.

Generally it is ill advised to run more than 1 active (real time) antivirus app. But it is usually ok to run 1 active and others on demand (manual scans). Malware is more of a problem now, than viruses. It is ok to run more than 1 anti-malware app actively. Problem there is many apps combine their virus scanning with the malware scanning by default and you have to set options to separate them (if possible).

Reaction score
I don't know who Bill is, but if you don't mind my 2 cents.

Generally it is ill advised to run more than 1 active (real time) antivirus app. But it is usually ok to run 1 active and others on demand (manual scans). Malware is more of a problem now, than viruses. It is ok to run more than 1 anti-malware app actively. Problem there is many apps combine their virus scanning with the malware scanning by default and you have to set options to separate them (if possible).
Is it ethical? I mean is there any adverse effect on speed of our CPU?

Reaction score
Is it ethical? I mean is there any adverse effect on speed of our CPU?
In general, no there isn't an adverse effect on the CPU's ability to run other programs at the same time. Most of the time the CPU is just waiting for something to do, especially if the CPU has multiple cores.

Right click on the taskbar and start the Task Manager. In the Task Manager, click on the button on the lower left side to show processes from all users. Then click on the heading of the CPU column. This will sort the list of processes according to CPU usage, from most to least (if the little triangle above the column name is pointing down) or least to most (if the triangle is pointing up). To reverse the order, just click on the column heading again. You should see that the "System Idle Process" is using most of the CPU cycles, no matter how many other processes are running.

Even though most of the time the CPU is waiting for something to do, when it does have something to do, the time it takes to do it depends on how fast the CPU is and how many cores it has to work with. The operating system spreads the work load around so that the CPU does not spend too much time on any one particular thing and each process gets some time in a round-robin fashion. Of course, the faster the CPU is, the more each process can get done within each time slice it is given. A single core CPU can only work with 1 process at a time. A 4 core CPU can work with 4 processes at the same time. An 8 core with 8, and so on.

It will appear that some processes are not getting any time (the usage will stay at 00), this is because the time slice to so fast that it does not show up on the time scale the task manager is using.

Last edited:

Ask a Question