How to delete Windows.old folder - Discussion

Reaction score
There was no option called "Previous windows installations" for me to check off.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Bryan. Maybe you didn't have one??

Ian. Nice to see it in writing. It is such a simple operation, not, apparently, recorded by MS. Yet if you browse you will find dozens of posts around the web asking how it is done!

Reaction score
Take Ownership

You can also take ownership of the Windows.old folder, and then manually delete it. I personally find that a bit easier.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Hi Space. Welcome to the forums.
There are several ways to delete the folder. I always prefer, as default, to use methods already built in to Windows - particularly when giving advice broadly, which can include newbies. There is no way simpler or more straightforward than Ian's advice.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Space. Welcome to the forums.
There are several ways to delete the folder. I always prefer, as default, to use methods already built in to Windows - particularly when giving advice broadly, which can include newbies. There is no way simpler or more straightforward than Ian's advice.
Thanks for the welcome. I do suppose that there are multiple ways to do things, some of which are better than others. I was just expressing my opinion based on my skill. I did not mean any rudeness; I am sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
dawadijournal, I can't read Nepali and if I click your link for an English translation it takes me to join a Google blog instead of showing me a translation.

Ask a Question