Can I delete Windows.old from Windows 7

Reaction score
I have upgraded to Windows 7 from Windows Vista and there is now a windows.old folder that just sits there taking up space. Can I delete it now that it is no longer needed?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, you can delete windows.old as long as you no longer need any of your old files. The easiest way to remove it is to use the Disk Cleanup tool (just search for it on the start menu) and then check the "Previous Windows installation" box.

I'll create an article on this now as I imagine a few other people will be trying to do the same thing. Once it's done I'll edit this post and link to the article.

edit - Here's the link to the article : https://www.w7forums.com/delete-windows-old-folder-t2608.html

Reaction score
To remove the Windows.old folder, follow these steps:

Important Before you remove the Windows.old folder, make sure that there are no important files in it.

1. Click Start button, click All Programs, click Accessories, and then click System Tools.
2. Click Disk Cleanup.
3. In the Disk Cleanup Options dialog box, click Files from all users on this computer.

Note If the User Account Control dialog box appears, type the administrator password, and then click OK. Otherwise, click Continue.
4. In the Disk Cleanup:Drive Selection dialog box, select the hard disk drive that you want to clean up, and then click OK. Wait while the system scans the computer for unnecessary files.
5. Click the Disk Cleanup tab, and then look for the Previous Windows installations check box.
6. If you find the Previous Windows installations check box, click to select it, and then click OK.

If you do not find this check box, go to step 7.
7. When you are prompted to confirm the removal of files, click Delete Files.
8. Wait while the system removes the files. You have now removed the Windows.old folder.

Ask a Question