How to remove / delete network folder credentials in Windows 7

Reaction score
I want to always enter my userid and password to access a shared folder. The first time I was required to enter them, but now I am never asked to enter them. If this notebook were to be stolen and cracked, all my sensitive data on the remote share would be at risk. So, I need to delete the credentials so they are never saved for this share.

I have a notebook that accesses a shared folder over a VPN on my home PC via the internet like this:
net use z: "\\10.8.0.1\my documents" - it always connects and allows access without entering a user / passwowrd

Credentials Manager has nothing in it...nothing at all !!!

Furthermore, if I use the Win7 "Map Network Drive" and check "Connect using different credentials", and put in obviouslly bogus data: User: Noone Password:JUNK , the folder still gets mapped.

Configuration:
Window 7 Home Premium 64 bit
The notebook is only a week old with latest updates and little else
No Domains, just this notebook and an XP Home desktop

Any suggestions are appreciated. TIA
ceje

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I'm not an expert on VPN issues, so I'll just throw out what might work.

If you pull up cmd and type in cmdkey /delete /ras, does it ask for auth then when you connect via VPN? (Note: if you're currently connected via VPN that connection may drop until reconnect) That command is supposed to clear the remote connection credential stored.

If it does work, and VPN asks for auth again, then you need to use the same command again because your creds will just be saved again. Following that, we need to try and prevent your creds from being saved. Modify the registry as follows:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
Value Name: DisableDomainCreds
Value Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 1

As always, punch in commands and modify the registry at your own peril.

Ask a Question