How to bring back Windows Media Player strip-menu to Start Menu?

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

I've accidently deleted "Windows Media Player" from start menu. The only thing I can do is to pin wmplayer.exe to the start menu, but then it appears like a regular icon, above all other icons, with a seperator, and it doesn't have the ">" arrow with all the strip menus it had before I deleted it.

Any ideas on how is it possible to bring it back to the state it was, and make it be under the seperator?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Do you mean you've removed it from the vertical list of icons that appear on the start menu (and not the horizontal taskbar icons?). If so, that list is rebuilt automatically based on your most recently used programs. If you unpin WMPlayer from the start menu and just load it manually each time you use it, within a few days it will appear back on your most recently used icons list. :)

Alternatively, you can use system restore to go back a few days to when you had it working (don't try this if you've changed many other things since then though, as they will also revert back).

Reaction score
Thanks!

Yes, I was refering to the vertical icons list on the start menu.

Do you think it's gonna come back in its original form, with an ">" button and menu stripes in it, or just as an icon?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not too sure, as I've not tried it myself - is using System Restore an option?

The Release Candidate version will be out soon anyway, so all is not lost in the long run :)

Reaction score
A solution could be:
Navigate to C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player
and create a shortcut of wmplayer.exe - it will ask you if it's OK to place the shortcut on the desktop (you do) you can then rename it to what you like. Now drag and drop it on to your start menu.
I hope this helps

Ask a Question