SOLVED How reliable is zipping in Windows 7 Explorer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your DVD burner is still a viable solution if you are willing to limit the files you back up. It is just that Blueray disks hold about 6 times more information than a standard DVD and 3 times more than a Dual-layer DVD.

For instance if you were to back up all of your "pictures" library, for most users they would all easily fit on a regular or DL DVD without any zipping or file compression of any kind.

My entire "Documents" library would fit on a regular DVD and my "music" on a single DL DVD.

But if I had a Blueray burner I could burn all three of those libraries to a single Blueray disk.

Where I would run in to real problems is my downloads folder is 150GB and my videos folders are over 500GB. My downloads include many files I downloaded that are zipped but I would never consider zipping my entire downloads folder as a back-up solution and even Blueray wouldn't be practical IMO.

So I use an external HD because it is practical for my needs, and I don't compress anything, I use a straight one-to-one copy/compare program, Microsoft's SyncToy.

It is important to pick the right back-up method/media based on the volume and frequency of data you have to back up. I just think everyone here is suggesting that zipping files as a back-up solution is probably not your best option. Zipping is fast and reliable as a compression and consolidation method for sending/receiving files via the internet but it isn't really intended as a long-term back-up method.
I should have clarified that the DVD burner had a limited useful life because DVD burners have been standard accompaniments to computers for some time now (shortly after I bought the burner). Technology moves so fast these days.

As for postponing the need to buy a Bluray burner, my data is fortunately small in volume. I was wrestling with size this last time because I was putting a whole bunch of snapshots from mem stick to disc. From what I read, it's never a good idea to rely on mem sticks as backup because nonvolatile memory has a tendency to disappear on occassion.

I will have trouble filling up a DVD with regular snapshots, even without compression. I could leave the disc unfinalized in order to add future snapshots onto the same disc, but that is risky. Not only has unfinalized discs caused portability problems in the past, but all the snapshots on the disc will have a single point of failure. For that reason, I will probably decide to finalize the disc after putting 1 snapshot on the disc.

Reaction score
The problem with "burning" optical disks (whether CD, DVD or BR) is compatibility. I am not talking about protocols and standards changing but rather something more basic - head alignment.

The problem comes a few years down the road and you have a different burner in your new computer and suddenly your backup disks are not readable because the tolerance variance of the old writer added to the tolerance variance of the new reader add up to an out-of-tolerance situation. This is especially a problem with budget drives - and who buys the most expensive optical drives they can find?
Interesting. Sounds possible but personally I've never experienced this problem. I have used the same CDs and DVDs in numerous different computers as well as in replacement DVD drives when the old ones die. I think if I bought one and my old DVDs don't read then I would take it back and buy a different brand.

But still, for sheer volume of data, I prefer a HD for back-up
My experience mirrors that of TrainableMan. Never a problem with reading discs that are more than a decade old. Past problems come for incompatible implementation of standards support e.g. UDF, not finalizing discs/sessions, etc..

My background is Elec Eng, but not in the design of disc drives. Does anyone know if the standards specify how tolerant the readers have to be to wandering tracks? Also, do the standards specify how accurate the track positions have to be for writers?

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
As I said, however, the HD is electronically and mechanically more complicated (and hence less robust) than just the physical media alone.

In the overall picture, I'm not sure which one is more reliable.
But I am. And more complicated does not imply less "robust". And no backup system is "just the physical media alone".

"Physical media alone" assumes you, the user, secures that physical media (many disks) and protects it for years to come from any physical damage, including a simple scratch to soft plastic surfaces. And it assumes you will have a working drive, with a different set of R/W heads, that supports it. Who knows what optical storage (or their readers) will look like in 10 years? I hope not big clunky, scratchable plastic disks. Sure, hard drives need to be stored too, but they can take some rough handling (compared to optical disks), and one HD can take the place of many scratchable disks. And the HD only needs an SATA interface to plug into - not a compatible reader. I suspect SATA will still be around.

But you still need to do what is best for you, and my opinion does not matter. If you can ensure the easily damaged burned disks are safely secured away for years to come, and you don't care about all the extra time and extra work needed to burn (and restore from) a whole bunch of disks, that's fine. And frankly, there's nothing wrong with having multiple copies in different formats to ensure recovery years down the road either.

Past problems come for incompatible implementation of standards support
And in hardware parlance, is the same thing as not adhering to specified tolerances.
My background is Elec Eng, but not in the design of disc drives. Does anyone know if the standards specify how tolerant the readers have to be to wandering tracks? Also, do the standards specify how accurate the track positions have to be for writers?
Well, I am not an EE but you can follow the link in my sig and decide if I might have any "practical experience" to qualify my comments. Those would be engineering/design/theory questions, but sure, Sony and Phillips dictate and own the standards for CDs; Sony, Phillips, Toshiba, and Panasonic for DVDs; and the BluRay Disc Association for BluRays.

But theory and real-world rarely see eye-to-eye - especially on budget models. And until Man can create perfection 100% of the time, there will always be a few samples a few nanometers too far off to the right, and few samples a few nanometers too far off to the left.

Put the two samples together and potentially, perfect alignment is off by way more than few nanometers. The higher the density, the more bits of data is stored per square millimeter and the tighter the tolerances must be. But it is still up the manufacturer of the end product ensure that, and clearly, they have an interest to ensure they do.

Fortunately, they are pretty good at it.

From your response, I guess that your answer to my question is that you simply assess these factors differently for your needs, and the HD comes out on top.
No, you are discarding many factors I don't. Such as,

Costs per Gb
Time (much faster backing up to one HD than burning to several optical disks)
"Durability" - HDs are much more robust.
Flexibility - you can erase and write over data with an HD
Space/Storage - one HD is easier to safely store for years than a bunch of soft plastic disks
Ease of use - backing up and restoring from one HD is relatively ease​

Reaction score
This is getting far more confrontational than I intended. I thank you for sharing your experience. Best wishes.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
seveny, you have marked the thread solved. I will go ahead and close the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question