SOLVED How do you create a theme for Windows 7 ?

Reaction score
I was wondering if someone on the forum could walk me through creating a custom theme from various downloaded pictures and adding one ofWEindows sound schemes to it ? Thanks everyone.

Reaction score
Bassfisher~

Thanks for that link.

Acctually been looking for something like that for a while.

Much appreciated.

~LoneWolf

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Note: the link bassfisher6522 gave is for just the absolute basics of making a theme, if you want an entirely new theme like those seen when people edit their theme dll's. Then you'll have to find a resource editor to edit your explorer.exe, the aero msstyles file in your Windows\Resources directory, and your explorerframe.dll :)

Explorer.exe - Contains data for your start orb mainly that people like to edit
Explorerframe.dll - Contains data for your Explorer view navigational buttons mainly
AeroMsstyles - Contains data for your entire Windows aero and basic styles images

That's what i've done, but make sure that you have backups of your originals, or you know well how to use System File Checker to revert back to originals.

Code:
sfc /scannow
Or something like
Code:
sfc /scanfile="C:\Windows....file.ext"

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Worst thing that happened to me is I lost my navigational tree inside the navigation pane in an OpenFileDialog, however that's a 2 second fix with
Code:
sfc /scanfile="C:\Windows\System32\ExplorerFrame.dll"
Or the SysWOW folder.

My windows is VERY customized if you only seen the changes i've made to it lol. I gave up on using a custom theme a while ago, but everything else in the background is highly custom. I'd hate to lose all of that work lol.

Good luck :) It's pretty fun assuming you're cautious, and you keep backups, or you know how to utilize system file checker to revert back to original files.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I believe Bassfisher's answer IS right on with what Microsoft calls themes. Resource Editors to edit DLLs and modify Aero is not for the average user; for one thing a windows update can come along and totally overwrite your changes to the system.

Thank you again Bassfisher.

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I believe Bassfisher's answer IS right on with what Microsoft calls themes. Resource Editors to edit DLLs and modify Aero is not for the average user; for one thing a windows update can come along and totally overwrite your changes to the system.

I mentioned that it was the basics, although I never stated that he was wrong.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score

I,ll echo that but add that I could not see any need , even for the better than average user, for a resource editor.. Even Bassfsher's link is a little overcomplicated (But thanks - good suggestion, Bass)

Reaction score
Yeah, it does sound a little complicated. I may just put the photos in a folder and put that folder in the C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper folder, set it to rotate the photos and see if I still get the Windows sounds.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
If it is only the background, then the sounds will be unaffected. You probably do know that, in most cases, you can right click a picture and select "Set as desktop background" ? Extra sounds, icons etc, can be downloaded or built separately and incorporated as you wish. For a slide show, may I return your favour with this link from the source - very simple procedure!
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/create-a-desktop-background-slide-show

Reaction score
I just added the folder of pictures to Eindows Wallpapers folder, selected them all to rotate and Windows automatically made a theme of them. All I had to do was name the theme and now it's listed in with the other themes. I made it of the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders from their Facebook page.

Reaction score
Go Cowboys!!! I've been a fan since I was 5.....40 plus years later I'm still a dedicated fan....especially a fan of the Cheerleaders.

Love to see some screen shots.

Reaction score
Reaction score
My 2 older brother's like the Cowboys, My other brother likes the Dolphins. I like the Colts and Giants. The Cowboys always have the best looking cheerleaders though.
Thanks Ace. Copied it into a word document and saved it.
I'm going to do a old hot rod one next.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ace

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I am officially a fan of the Cowboys cheerleaders now lol. My dad was a fan of them for a long time as well, but I never really watched it to notice the cheerleaders.

Reaction score
Yeah, but they are nice eye candy. My 2 oldest brother's are die-hard Cowboys fan's. The oldest is 55 and can tell you thing's from the team's beginning.

Last edited:

Ask a Question