How do I Prevent Windows Explorer from using the "My Documents" alias?

Reaction score
After changing the location of the "My Documents" folder (to a destination folder with a different name), Windows Explorer displays the name of destination folder as "My Documents" (instead of its real name).

How do I change this? I do not like browsing directories and being shown incorrect folder names.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The default folder isn't really "My documents" either, just Documents. It isn't really an incorrect folder name, it IS a working alias and can be reached by that name too.

But if you don't like it then simply right-click on "My Documents" in Windows Explorer, choose Rename, and name it the same as your folder name.

Reaction score
Of course I could rename the alias, but that is a hideous solution. Surely, there must be a way to display actual folder names or "not display folder alias names" in Win Explorer?

Reaction score
Btw, I should better define the "issue":

I see no problem (and some value) in such aliases when they represent a pointer or a "shortcut" to a directory (such as the "My Documents" reference). But I do not like Windows Explorer displaying the name of the actual source directory by the name of something else that is pointing to it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I do not like Windows Explorer displaying the name of the actual source directory by the name of something else that is pointing to it.
I'm not exactly sure I understand what you mean by this, could you maybe attach a screenshot?

Ask a Question