SOLVED How do I create a Win 7 Menu shortcut to a VM exe

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I use Microsofts Windows Virtual PC/Virtual XP (the free download for PRO and Ultimate) which I plan to use to run older games. I going to try them first in 7 and if Hal complains (I have my system sound set to 2001's "I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that") then I will install it under XP.

It's my understanding that when I install under XP it adds a link directly from 7. But if I don't install, just copy files, or if the file already exists as part of the XP system like my beloved Internet hearts then how do I create the Windows 7 shortcut that immediately goes into VirtualXP and executes it?

This is what launches Virtual XP ...
%SystemRoot%\system32\rundll32.exe %SystemRoot%\system32\VMCPropertyHandler.dll,LaunchDefaultVM

And inside VM this is Internet Hearts ...
"C:\Program Files\MSN Gaming Zone\Windows\hrtzzm.exe"

... So how do I throw those together?

This has got to be fairly simple. I'm sure one of you Virtual tinkers knows the answer. So please help.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Catilley, you're the VM man, I was sure you could answer this in your sleep. Help me out here, please.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hum...
Not too sure about this but, if I am right, when you install a program on XP Mode, the softwares aren't installed directly on your HD like they do in the real thing. Instead the OS is stored on a virtual HD.
In other words, it ain't possible.
Though have you tried puting Hearts as a startup item in XP Mode? That could launch Hearts when you turn on XP Mode.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Thanx but, if I did that it would always be hearts that ran, there is actually some way to pass the program as a parameter into VirtualXP so that it runs ANY program.

If you INSTALL software while in Virtual XP it automatically creates a shortcut out in Windows 7, problem is I have some programs I just copy and create an XP shortcut and the hearts is preinstalled in XP so these things don't create the Win 7 link.

I haven't really put any time in to it, thought someone would know right off.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
For Microsoft's Virtual PC - XP Mode follow these steps:

First verify "Automatically publish virtual applications" in enabled
1) Select "Windows Virtual PC" from the Start Menu to open a Windows Explorer window to the Virtual Machines Folder
2) Right-click on "Windows XP Mode" and select SETTINGS
3) Verify or Set "Auto Publish" to Enabled
4) Restart XP Mode if you had to Enable it (See 2C below).

Inside XP Mode
1) Create a shortcut to the program under the All Users Start Menu "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\"
:hmmmm: NOTE: It must be in ALL USERS not just the XPMUser Start Menu
2) Certain programs like IE6 and Internet Hearts/Spades are blocked from publishing. (thank you FlowMaN)
_a) Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Virtual Machine\VPCVAppExcludeList registry key
_b) find the names of the programs you want to publish and delete the entries.
_c) Restart your virtual machine. (Ctrl-Alt-Del and select "restart")
:shot: NOTE: This step is critical, just logging off or clicking the X to close (hibernate) does not complete the process!

Last edited:

Ask a Question