How can I mount an ISO in Windows 7?

Reaction score
I have tried to use Daemon Tools like I have in Vista, but it doesn't run so I can't mount ISO files. All of my backups are in this file format, so I'm not sure what to do now.

Is there another way I can open ISO files in Windows 7?

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I know the compression program Izarc can read .ISO

I have installed it on my Windows 7 without issue, maybe give it a try

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
From what I understand MDF and MDS files are only usable with Daemon Tools (and licensed by Alcohol 120%) - so I think you'll need to wait until Windows 7 is out of beta and a new version of Daemon Tools is released.

I think WinRar can open MDF files - you can get that from www.rarlabs.com

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
What I find works really well is MagicDisk. Download it here. Just install, launch, then right-click the tray icon and point to mount then from there it's pretty much self explanatory. There's even a version for W7! How cool is that! Ok, well it works. Good luck and cheers.

Reaction score
Ive used a File manager called Total Commander for years now. Total Commander has plugins the can be used. The ISO plugin works for me. You may not be interested but I thought I would throw it in as an option.

Reaction score
same problem ! my comp got useless since deamon and alcohol ( boith uses the same driver that is not workin with win 7 )

been looking for a virtual cd rom emulator for a long time now

hey thatnks for noticing bout magic disk emu , its really supported by win 7 os and its freee

Last edited:
Reaction score
UltraISO will open your Alcohol files. And it can mount them. Only bad thing is that it isn't free, although most people don't seemt o care these days.

Daemon tools (And Alcohol) doesn't work because the SPTD Driver doesn't work.
A quote from an Admin from the SPTD people -
Windows 7 support is work in progress, depending on the test results a beta driver may be released soon (NO ETA!).
Source:http://forum.duplexsecure.com/showthread.php?t=537&page=6
See-Digger

Last edited:
Reaction score
What I find works really well is MagicDisk. Download it here. Just install, launch, then right-click the tray icon and point to mount then from there it's pretty much self explanatory. There's even a version for W7! How cool is that! Ok, well it works. Good luck and cheers.
Magic Disc is free, works well with Windows 7, and it's easy to use.

Please use Magic Disc for ISO mounting.

Reaction score
There is no real solution for this, many programs will open the files your looking for but the only real way to get them mounted properly in windows 7 is to burn them to a disc. (Its barbaric i know)

Reaction score
There is no real solution for this, many programs will open the files your looking for but the only real way to get them mounted properly in windows 7 is to burn them to a disc. (Its barbaric i know)
Can you explain further why you think an ISO cannot be mounted properly in Windows 7?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
When I setup a VM in Windows 7, I download the ISO file, and never have to burn a disc to get the machine going. This is one example that shows that ISO's can be mounted in 7. Just point the installer to the ISO download (usually a Linux OS disc), and let it roll. I've probably saved at least 50 discs letting the installer mount the ISO file.

Keep in mind, this is only one example, there are probably many others, too. Just learn as you go.

BTW, welcome to the forum, kirklogan!

Cat

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Im sorry i should have been more specific, i didnt mean it cant mount ISO files, i was referring to the .mdf and .mds files, i have yet to personally find a way to mount them on windows 7.
Then thats a job for Deamon tools or Alcohol 120%.

I personnaly hate deamon tools, and I second Ian's opinion of Virtual CloneDrive. It's simple, fast and efective... but doesn't support .mdf files...
http://www.fc-designs.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16&p=20

Last edited:
Reaction score
mounting images without buying software

Anyone know of a comparable image mounter to deamon tools basic that you dont have to buy
any help would be greatly appreciated
cheers

Ask a Question