SOLVED Hiding Partitions from Guest Account

Reaction score
I am the only user of my computer, normally.
I have an Administrator - Password Protected account, a Standard User (no password - I never use it account) and a Guest account - (no password,) for use of a guest if I was gone on holiday.

I recently divided my harddrive into two partitions, C one for W7 and D one for DATA. Now I find that both the Guest account and the other Standard account can see my DATA Partition files.

I am unable to figure out how to hide my D DATA files from access by the Guest account. I thought that was the whole point of a Guest Account. Any suggestions?
Thank you.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Whenever people move their data to a new partition I always recommend they Make the first level folder their userid and then under that Documents, Music, Videos, etc. That way security can be set from a single folder. If you have multiple folders (no hi-level "Patti" folder) then you will have to do this for each folder...

Basically what you want to do is change the security settings for your data. In windows explorer, Right-click on the folder and choose Properties, select the Security Tab. First make sure you are in the list and have Allow on everything, then pick "Everyone" in the list and hit Edit, check Deny "Full Control". By default (ie. unless you change them), all subfolders inherit security from the parent folder so all you need change is the highest level folder(s) on the drive.

Now I believe Guests should see a D drive but they shouldn't see in your folders. Please give it a try and see if that will suit your needs.

Reaction score
Whenever people move their data to a new partition I always recommend they Make the first level folder their userid and then under that Documents, Music, Videos, etc. That way security can be set from a single folder. If you have multiple folders (no hi-level "Patti" folder) then you will have to do this for each folder...
I don't understand this. My attachment shows what the security settings? are.
I don't see whre I can "then pick "Everyone" in the list and hit Edit, check Deny "Full Control". By default (ie. unless you change them), all subfolders inherit security from the parent folder so all you need change is the highest level folder(s) on the drive.

Can you clarify this for me please

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Well,make the folders hidden.Guest accounts can't mess with the control panel to show hidden files and folders(i think !!!!!!!,I have not uses any guest or standared user accounts).
You can alwas open the hidden folder from the administartor account my enabling the option to show hidden files and folders.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
amaltom, Any user can simply open Windows Explorer, go to Organize ... file and folder options ... view tab and choose "show hidden files and folders," so that is not secure.

OK, I'm not an expert on the security stuff and I simply disable the Guest account on my PC so it's a bit of trial and error for me so ...

Technically you can "add" Everyone to the list, but I would simply just try setting Deny "Full Control" on the last one you have "Users (Patti-PC/Users)". Make note of what the settings are so you can change them back if it doesn't work. I'm assuming you personally log on as an administrator so your access is controlled by the one above that.

Reaction score
There are many softwares out there which can password protect files and folders.
The built in Bitlocker in windows 7 can be used to protect the whole drive.(i don't know which version of windows 7 you have).
Another trick found while searching in the net(may not be helpfull)

Make Folders Invisible In Windows
1. Right click on the desktop>New>Folder
2.Remove the name and with the NUMPAD type 0160 while holding ALT
-Now your folder should appear unnamed and when we got that solved, we have to make the icon itself invisible to the eye:
3.Right click on the folder>Properties
4.Click the Customize tab and then Change icon
5.Just scroll a little bit and you can find here is a transparent icon
And voila; your folder is now invisible…(*just don’t forget where you put it)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
amaltom, you are trying to make this way too complicated. She simply wants to keep Guests out, not make it harder for her to access it by hiding or encrypting files/folders every time. 99.999% of the time it will be her on the machine.

When in doubt, I recommend the KISS principle.

Reaction score
Trouble in my grey cell department.
Attachment shows what is allowed under Users (Patti-PC/Users. It shows that only 3 permissions are listed yet Guest can still see my files and folders.

SYSTEM has full control, Authenticated User has all but Full Control.

For Users (Patti-PC/Users should I unclick all?

Attachments

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Patti - Maybe this info will help you.

Go to: http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-lock-and-password-protect-folder-in-vista/

These instruction apply also to Windows 7, also they give a link for a free application to password protect the folders too. It's called: LocK A FoldeR

From the website:
If you find it hard to change file access permission for specific users each time you want to password protect a folder, have a look at LocK A FoldeR, an application for Windows that lets you password protect folders with a click. For the first time usage, it asks you to enter the master password to prevent others from accessing the application.
LocK-A-FoLdeR™ is a lightweight and easy to use program that allows you to hide and lock up any folders on your computer, making them invisible and inaccessible to anyone but yourself. After you create a master password, simply select the folder(s) you want to hide and click a button to make them disappear. To unlock a folder, enter your password and select the folder that you want to unlock.
==> It features :

• Extremely easy to use and straightforward Interface.

• Uses almost no CPU (no extra services or processes).

• Compatible with Windows XP/Vista/7.

• Open Source (Free To Use/Distribute/Study/Modify).

• Compatible with all filesystems.

• Lock Unlimited folders.

• Fastest Folder Locking Technique.
Download LocK-A-FoLdeR 3.10.3 for Windows 32 bit

Download LocK-A-FoLdeR 3.10.3 for Windows 64 bit

SOURCE

Using this handy little app may be easier and simpler for you rather the going the other route.

I hope some of this helps!
~Nibs

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Read & List means they can read them and see them.

Select Users and then hit the EDIT button in the middle and click Deny Full Control, it should set all user options to deny.

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. Unfortunately I did what you said "Deny Full Control" so everything was denied but then I could not access my Data file from anywhere.

I managed to get it back the way it was but my original goal to stop the GUEST account from access to my C Data and other files is not to be.

It seems there are no permissions to be applied to just the Guest Account. I have scrolled thru the help file but no luck.:dontknow:

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There are lots of programs, like Lock-A-Folder, to encrypt files but as I mentioned when amaltom brought it up before, it is a bit extreme to add extra work for you on your side everytime you access your data just to keep out a guest a couple times a year. It's simply a matter of the proper access settings.

NOTE: Never change the settings for SYSTEM

1. Is your normal account that you log on an administrator account?
2. Could you show me pictures of the settings for all the accounts except SYSTEM.

Reaction score
Here is Administrators permissions.
When I had deny all for Users(Patti-PC\Users) I could not access my Data Partition (F) from anywhere.

Need a Guest accoount that cannot read any of my files or folders.

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You said you are an Administrator so Administrators (Patti-PC/Administrators) should control your access.

OK, some of the settings you showed me are on the root of C:/ and the last one is on the root of F:\, none of them are the settings of a folder UNDER the root of F:. Per our discussion in the other thread about "Levels", it is very important that you are setting this on the highest level 1 folders on your F: drive, not on the F: drive root. I don't believe you can hide the entire drive using permissions, what you need to do is deny access to your data folders.

Do me a favor and post a screenshot of windows explorer with your F:/ drive and its' folders showing.

I still believe if you change Users (Patti-PC/Users) and ONLY that one that there is a solution there. But it must be done to the high-level folders on F:, NOT to the root of F:. So, if you add a screenshot of F then I can tell you exactly which folder permissions you should change.

Reaction score
The settings I sent earlier #14 (3) were Partition F, F, C-by mistake. The next one #15 is F Administrator.

Today are (3) 16-08 Folder Books under F permissions (all full permissions except Users (Patti-PC\Users which has Read & execute, List folder, Read.)

Computer>Data(F) showing folders in it. Also, screen shot of my drives on Computer.
Hope this is what you wanted.

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Wow! OK so you put all your folders hanging right off the root of F:. The way you have the drive set up right now you would have to set the settings on about 100 folders and I am worried it would be too easy to miss some or make mistakes.

Instead I would like you to consider doing this. Create a Folder off the root of F: called Patti. Then move all of these data folders under Patti.

Once you have done that then we can move forward.

If you want it to look the same under library DATA, then you can change your Library pointer from F: to instead point it to F:\Patti. This would make it possible for you to simply set Permissions on a single Folder (F:\Patt).

Would this be acceptable to you? If so, go ahead and make the folder Patti on your F: drive and then move AAA D My Documents, AAAA Genealogy, etc so they are all under the single folder Patti.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok, I am not sure if I did this right. Moved Data to F-Patti.
Attachment shows the permissions for new F-Patti as 3 items Read & Execute, List, and Read. The top 3 users are all full permissions except none have Special Permissions.
Are we getting anywhere?:)

Attachments

Ask a Question