Taskbar not hiding in fullscreen

Reaction score
When I go to fullscreen by either hitting F11 or the icon on my browser toolbar the tollbar hides but the taskbar stays visible on the screen. This happens on all webpages. I just tried it on this forum page and had the same result.
When it does get 'stuck' (on rare occasions it does hide) If I place the cursor on the taskbar and left click it once then place the cursor just above it (or anywhere on the full screen) and left click once it hides. After that it works correctly on any fullscreen application untill I close my browser. When I reopen my browser I have to do the 'fix' again.
I use Firfox 8 but I have tried my IE browser with the same results, so I don't think it's the browser.
It isn't a major imposition to do two clicks to get fullscreen to work properly but if there is a way to get it to work properly I would appreciate the help.

Thanks
Mike M

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
So can we assume you have Auto hide the taskbar checked?

Reaction score
No, I don't have it checked. I like to see the taskbar when I'm not in fullscreen mode.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Well, that may be it. You might also have to turn off Aero.

Reaction score
Checked the box to autohide the taskbar all the time and it works, the taskbar is always hidden. That isn't a fix however. The only time I don't want to see the taskbar is when I am in fullscreen mode. That is the way it windows should work in fullscreen mode. Hide the taskbar. You shouldn't have to check autohide. As far as Aero, it shouldn't affect fullscreen. I have used fullscreen with Aero for years, but just to check I turned it off and nothing changed. The taskbar still stuck in F/S mode.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Peculiar that ya should post a thread like this... ever since the last round of updates I have noticed my own taskbar will randomly refuse to fade when running full-screen applications. The only way to make it vanish is to click the taskbar button for the application (which puts the program back in windowed mode) then click the full screen option again.

It's gotten a bit annoying when watching videos. Didn't have the issue at all before the updates.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I think That would be the same link I gave.

Reaction score
The linked fix doesn't work. I think windows updates over the past two years have outdated it.
It's just two clicks to get it (F/S) working so I'm not dead in the water as far as functionality, but it should work the way it's supposed to, so something is amiss somewhere.
I wonder if MS is aware of problems with this. They won't talk to me unless I pay $50 even though I just bought this computer. Since I didn't install the operating system and HP did = no support for their product.
HP tried but didn't have any solution and I really didn't expect them to.
I don't get why a company like MS would charge to support their own product. My OS is brand new software and like me the majority of the people using it get it on computers they buy at stores, with the operating system included. That means they are limiting their support to the few that upgrade their operating systems. Doesn't seem right.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I am not supporting them, but I would theorise that if they did not charge, they would be overwhelmed with requests for help from complex to a very low value problem.

Reaction score
That is the nature of customer service, people will have problems. I'm sure when HP made the decision to have a 24 hr customer service line they considered all the dumb questions they would be fielding.
They, and a lot of other manufactures, realize that Joe Public isn't a computer expert and wants to know he has help if he needs it.
It's a premium that attracts consumers and it's just good business even if it's for a short period of time.
The bottom Line is if I gave MS $50 I would probably have a solution for my problem, but on general principal I will not give them a dime for something they, in all their monopoly driven arrogance, should support for free.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
The linked fix doesn't work. I think windows updates over the past two years have outdated it.
No, it seems the developers simply decided to remove the "Always on top" option from Vista and Win7. :(

It seems there are many limitations to that fix. Like you have to run it every time you log out or reboot - at least you can put it in your Startup folder.

I don't get why a company like MS would charge to support their own product.
It depends on the license. HP gets HUGE discounts on Windows by buying OEM/System Builder Licenses to install on their computers. Part of the agreement for buying these cheaper licenses is the "System Builder" is then required to provide all the support for one year. This is the same when you build your own computer and you buy an OEM/System Builder license to save a few bucks. You assume responsibility for providing the support.

If you had bought, or if HP installed a full "Retail" license from Microsoft, Microsoft be obligated to support you free of charge - at least not for one year. However, since this is a "design feature" and not a broken Windows, you would still be out of luck.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Yeah, again this is not a fix, because neither I nor the original poster want to permanently hide or show the taskbar. That is the problem.

When you run a video in full screen the taskbar behavior is suppose to fade, but instead it doesn't until after four or five attempts. It's getting more annoying by the day to have to fight it.

linchpin, the only thing I can suggest for the moment is that ya might try posting in the http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7 area and seeing if anyone can help you there. If you find a solution to your issue please let us know... I'll post here if I find a fix for this.

Reaction score
Yeah, again this is not a fix, because neither I nor the original poster want to permanently hide or show the taskbar. That is the problem.

When you run a video in full screen the taskbar behavior is suppose to fade, but instead it doesn't until after four or five attempts. It's getting more annoying by the day to have to fight it.

linchpin, the only thing I can suggest for the moment is that ya might try posting in the http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7 area and seeing if anyone can help you there. If you find a solution to your issue please let us know... I'll post here if I find a fix for this.
Copy that,
I just posted the question there, well see if anyone has a solution. I will keep you posted.

Ask a Question