SOLVED Help Locating Program Config

Reaction score
If possible, I need some help understanding what is going on w/this program : Mike Lin's Home Page. You will need to d/l and install it (safe), For me all is functioning as advertised, However, there is something about it I just can't grasp and perhaps you're savy can explain it to me.

When I go to start > all programs > crosshair > crosshair configuration - a config dialogue opens for this program. I am stumped as to 'where' it is. If I go to the typical 'program files(x86)\crosshair' folder there are only 2 files and when I clik the .exe the full cursor function toggles. Where in the heck has this installer placed the configuration .exe? When I r-clik it in the start > all programs > crosshair > crosshair configuration and clik properties, the open file location/change icon is greyed and locating the program path has me going in circles. Any clues?

thnx

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I haven't installed it and won't have time for a day or so but programs can allocate a data area in your Users folder so I suggest you look there.

Assuming your W7 logon name is Mourningstar there would be a folder C:\Users\MourningStar\AppData\Roaming\??Crosshair?? or possibly C:\Users\MourningStar\AppData\Local\??Crosshair??.

Reaction score
... but programs can allocate a data area in your Users folder so I suggest you look there.

Assuming your W7 logon name is Mourningstar there would be a folder C:\Users\MourningStar\AppData\Roaming\??Crosshair?? or possibly C:\Users\MourningStar\AppData\Local\??Crosshair??.
Yes - properties' General tab displays a path to the ...\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Crosshair\CrossHair Configuration. However, the file type is 'shortcut'. R-clik > Properties still shows a greyed out Open File Location/Change Icon buttons. Check back with you in 'a day or so' - thnx!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The configuration routine is actually part of the CrossHair.exe program, the shortcut simply passes a parameter "config" which makes it open the configuration window instead. To test it I opened a command prompt at the Crosshair folder and ran "Crosshair" which displayed the crosshairs on the screen. Then I typed "Crosshair config" and this time the configuration menu was displayed.

The actual configuration settings controlled by the config menu are stored in the registry under:
\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\mlin\CrossHair

Reaction score
Thank you - you rock!

p.s. - I can drag and drop the start menu's icon onto the desktop, which is basically a 'copy shortcut' function I would guess. Is there a way I can change it's icon to use a custom icon. Maybe creating a brand new shortcut? -thnx

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Instead of copying the shortcut from start menu, create a new shortcut on the desktop.

Browse to find the crosshair program, most likely "C:\Program Files (x86)\CrossHair\CrossHair.exe". Before hitting NEXT, add the parameter "config" (so that it looks like "C:\Program Files (x86)\CrossHair\CrossHair.exe" "config"). Then hit next. Give the shortcut a name on the next screen like CrossHair Configuration and hit FINISH. Now right-click and select Properties and choose CHANGE ICON. It will offer the default of the icons from the program but if you have .ICOs or Icon .DLLs you can browse and change to one of those.

Ask a Question