Help in choosing a new pc

Reaction score
Hi there, for several weeks now I have been checking out the various pc's on the market, and I am totally confused. My current pc is 7 years old, only has 540 mb of ram, and I would like something better. I mainly use my pc for writing emails, playing music, I never download music, but I do like to play scrabble. I would like the new pc to have Windows 7 but I am not sure what 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Windows 7 means. Most pc's that I have looked at has the 64 bit version installed, but a friend has told me that I only need the 32 bit version, which is where all you good folk come in. I would be looking to get a desktop pc. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Chistina - Welcome to w7forums

Your friend may have been looking at the fact that you have been happy with a 7 year old computer. You don't seem to need anything that requires allot of computer power. If you have been happy with the computer you have, anything that you find Windows 7 on will be very pleasing.

One thought though, Stay away from Windows 7 Basic and Windows 7 Starter. You don't want anything less than Windows 7 Home Premium.

The hardware in the computer world has been 64-Bit for some time now. The 64-Bit operating system is now using the hardware to it full potential.

Lets say that the 64-Bit computer is comparable to a two lane highway. A 32-Bit operating system is only as wide as one lane even though the hardware will support using two lanes. A 64-Bit operating system is as wide as both lanes and can full use of the highway.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Christina222 - Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums website! :ciao:

The following is what Microsoft recommends for running Windows 7, I would HIGHLY recommend that you download and run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor for a thorough look at your computer. Plus you'll need to add at least another 512MB of RAM to meet minimum requirements.

Windows 7: System Requirements

Before you begin

Download the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor for a more detailed understanding of whether your PC can run Windows 7.
Download now

If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it takes:

• 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
  • 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
  • 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
  • DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
Additional requirements to use certain features:

• Internet access (fees may apply)
  • Depending on resolution, video playback may require additional memory and advanced graphics hardware
  • For some Windows Media Center functionality a TV tuner and additional hardware may be required
  • Windows Touch and Tablet PCs require specific hardware
  • HomeGroup requires a network and PCs running Windows 7
  • DVD/CD authoring requires a compatible optical drive
  • BitLocker requires Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 1.2
  • BitLocker To Go requires a USB flash drive
  • Windows XP Mode requires an additional 1 GB of RAM, an additional 15 GB of available hard disk space, and a processor capable of hardware virtualization with Intel VT or AMD-V turned on
  • Music and sound require audio output
Product functionality and graphics may vary based on your system configuration. Some features may require advanced or additional hardware.

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the welcome Clifford and for your advice. I did have Windows 7 Premium in mind so your advice on that has helped me. Your description of 64bit v 32 bit was brilliant, I understood that, maybe I am a better driver than a pc user lol. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Christina222 - Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums website! :ciao:

The following is what Microsoft recommends for running Windows 7, I would HIGHLY recommend that you download and run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor for a thorough look at your computer. Plus you'll need to add at least another 512MB of RAM to meet minimum requirements.

Windows 7: System Requirements

Before you begin

Download the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor for a more detailed understanding of whether your PC can run Windows 7.
Download now

If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it takes:

• 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
  • 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
  • 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
  • DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
Additional requirements to use certain features:

• Internet access (fees may apply)
  • Depending on resolution, video playback may require additional memory and advanced graphics hardware
  • For some Windows Media Center functionality a TV tuner and additional hardware may be required
  • Windows Touch and Tablet PCs require specific hardware
  • HomeGroup requires a network and PCs running Windows 7
  • DVD/CD authoring requires a compatible optical drive
  • BitLocker requires Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 1.2
  • BitLocker To Go requires a USB flash drive
  • Windows XP Mode requires an additional 1 GB of RAM, an additional 15 GB of available hard disk space, and a processor capable of hardware virtualization with Intel VT or AMD-V turned on
  • Music and sound require audio output
Product functionality and graphics may vary based on your system configuration. Some features may require advanced or additional hardware.
Thank you Nibiru for your advice. I did actually download the windows 7 advisor before I posted my opening message. The report wasn't very favourable which makes me want a new pc all the more. I will take a copy of your reply along with me when I go to purchase the computer, or maybe learn it off by heart and impress the salesman lol. Thanks again.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Do you live anywhere near a Fry's electronics?

They have some great buys during the Holiday season.

Do you need a new monitor also, or will the one you have work for your needs?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I will take a copy of your reply along with me when I go to purchase the computer, or maybe learn it off by heart and impress the salesman lol. Thanks again.
If you have any questions at all about a purchase. Please remember the salesman may tell anything to make the sales. We have nothing to gain or loss when answering your questions. So before you make a final decision, ask us your questions for a honest answer. There is dozens of good people that know what they are talking about and login daily.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Check this out from Newegg.com:

Acer Aspire AX1301-U9052 Athlon II X2 215(2.7GHz) 4GB DDR2 750GB NVIDIA GeForce G210 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - Retail $429.99

Go HERE
to view photos, specs, etc.

Reaction score
Go HERE to view photos, specs, etc.
That Power Supply is only 220W which in the reviews are giving customers problems. Please don't recommend a PC that has bad reviews.

Personally I would not look at a system with less than 300W. My last computer that was only a single core Celeron was in a case with 300W power supply. It has been ten years since I have had a computer with less than 250W.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
That Power Supply is only 220W which in the reviews are giving customers problems. Please don't recommend a PC that has bad reviews.
Okay so I didn't notice the power supply, I was just looking at the price.

Since you know so much I'll leave it to you to help her out.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Apology accepted! She doesn't need a warp-drive machine.

If there's a Best Buy or a Wally World or a Sam's Club, she'll find something that will fit her needs.

I just built a new system for a customer that was about $750 in hardware & OS, plus my $150 fee for assembly, installation and such including software. All this lady I built it for is internet, auto parts auctions, email, etc. She just wanted the latest and greatest system. Especially since I had built her Dad a new system with Win 7 HP on it.

Reaction score
She just wanted the latest and greatest system.
It funny how people want the greatest regardless of their needs.

If you are not into games or graphic intense applications. Just about any computer on the market will work for you.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You can find good computers at Wal Mart, and no sales people are pressuring you, as they would at Best Buy. They try to cram extra warranties down your throat, and one thing that a lot of them will ask: What's the max that you're willing to spend on a computer? If you tell them $1,100 (for example), you'll walk out of there with change out of that amount of money. And as far as an extended warranty goes, Square Trade is the best. If during the three years they protect you, your computer costs more to repair than it's worth, they'll refund you every cent you paid for it. My warranty cost only $67 for three years (a $675 computer). It's based on what you paid for it. And they never try to swap you with a refurb and tell you everything's OK. They are honest, and the reason I'm telling you this is that you need more that a basic one year warranty. And 64 bit is the way to go. In time to come, you'll be glad you got that. Also, it would be best if you have 4GB RAM (memory). This will best unleash the features of 64 bit. You should be able to find something in the $500 to $700 range that will be suited for you. Wal Mart has a nice HP all in one for $599 with the specs that I mentioned. And you will love it. No box, all you do is connect the mouse & keyboard and plug it in. Of course, your internet as well. But I'm not telling you what to buy, it's just that some places will take advantage of you. After you select you computer, come on back. We'll be happy to help you in anyway possible. Welcome to the forum.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums. As has been said, if you have any questions feel free to ask, we aren't making any money off recommending or making suggestions. Have you looked into slightly older computers? I know alot of people frown on refurbished or 1 year old clear-out systems, but for what you want, I think you could get a really nice and inexpensive computer. One thing would be to make sure that if you do decide on this idea is to make sure there is a warranty just to be on the safe side.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
The one thing that I agree on in draceena's post is if you buy a refurb, by all means, get a warranty. I have had bad experiences buying refurbs, and the warranty refunded me twice for them. Usually the OS is reinstalled fresh for you, but with some sellers, that's all they do. The last one of them that I bought was from a company with a 99.7% satisfied rating. The laptop had not even been cleaned (the outer case), the battery would not hold a charge and the power cord had a short in it. So when you see a seller with high ratings, don't be fooled. With all of the great deals in the market today, new would be better. However, draceena is right, but you must be very, very careful. Make sure that there is a satisfaction guarantee and report the smallest problem at once. And if possible, pay with PayPal or a credit card, so you will be protected in case you get the run around, even with a new PC. And last, in my experiences, there are too many problems with refurbs for me to buy another one of them. It's somewhat like buying a used car, you usually are getting someone else's problem.

Reaction score
Hi Folks, I am overwhelmed by the amount of help and advise that you have all offered me, thank you. I should have stated that I live in the UK so I don't have access to the stores that you mentioned, but I will take on board all that you have said. The pc I have now was my first ever pc bought for me as a present by my son. He didn't get the best available pc at the time as I am sure he thought that as I am a silver surfer lol, I wouldn't be able to pick the idea up of how it all worked. I proved him wrong, I have learnt to do most things, but sadly for me, I can't seem to grasp the technical side of things, If I plugged it in, and it didn't work I would panic. I read in a Computer magazine that Firefox wont work with the 64 bit version of Windows 7, also my printer is made by HP and it seems they wont work either. As I always use Firefox as my browser, I would miss that, but I am sure there is a way around the printer problem,is that correct? I don't want to spend more than £500, a lot less would be even better lol, I just want one that I can do more or less the same as I am doing on this one, but more efficiently. Hope I am not giving you all a headache, and thanks again all of you for your help.

Reaction score
I read in a Computer magazine that Firefox wont work with the 64 bit version of Windows 7.
It's not Firefox that doesn't work. It is Adobe Flash Player, a plugin that doesn't work in the 64-Bit browsers. However the 32-Bit browsers will work just fine in Windows 64-Bit. Adobe is working on making 64-Bit plugins for the browsers. It is only a matter of time before Flash Media will work in the 64-Bit version of Firefox, Internet Explorer, etc... .

This computer for £399 is currently faster than what I have.
Packard Bell iMedia X4520uk - Desktop PC with 19" Packard Bell monitor

I did not see any reviews, so I do not know anything about the computer. However I do think you will be happy with one that is comparable in values.

Ask a Question