Help in choosing a new pc

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Christina, the regular (32 bit) version of Firefox works perfectly fine on my 64 bit PC. I've only had mine a month now. There are many, many programs that runs fine on 64 bit computers. Just because it's 64 bit doesn't mean that it won't run 32 bit programs. I suppose another way of putting it is that it's 64 bit capable. At this time, there are a lack of 64 bit programs, so most (or a lot of us) are running 32 bit programs instead. I hope this gives you some understanding of this issue, and you shouldn't let a current lack of programs affect your decision. And you did bring up one point, my printer (a 5 year old Dell) doesn't work with 64 bit PC's. There may be drivers for yours to make it work, I don't know. But sometimes you can get a compatible printer thrown in for a little extra. I don't know what all features you want in a printer, that affects the price. But there are decent ones that are affordable. What I did was left my printer installed on my XP based laptop, because I don't print much. If you don't print much, you can get by with an inexpensive one. Usually, the salesperson will give you a deal, if you buy a computer there. I hope my post here is somewhat helpful to you. And we all at Windows 7 forums hope to keep hearing from you after the purchase. Someone is usually here should you need help. One other thing: Buying new is the best and easiest way for you to learn. As I've said, I've been a Windows 7 user for only a month, and it's very user friendly. Best wishes to you, and hope to see you here again, happily using your new Windows 7 system.

Reaction score
Thank you so much Clifford for the P.C World link, that pc looks great and a very good price too. I wonder if I was having one of those senior moments when reading that computer magazine lol? So if its Adobe Flash player that there is a problem with, does that mean I wont be able to play scrabble as I believe that uses Adobe Flash Player? Thanks again for your help and advice.

Reaction score
Thanks Catilley, you have helped me a great deal. I don't use the printer all that much, but I suppose it's like everything else, if I got rid of it, you always want what you haven't got lol. I will check to see if a driver is available before I purchase the pc, if one is not available then I will haggle with the salesman for a deal on a printer. Thank you for your help and for your kindness.

Reaction score
Until Adobe comes out with a 64-Bit Flash Player that will work with the 64-Bit browsers. The 32-Bit browser will work just fine. It is a plugin for the browsers that is limited to 32-Bit at the moment. It shouldn't be long before Adobe has a 64-Bit plugin though.

Reaction score
Re. the posting about buying from a Sam's Club - if you can find what you want there, they have a 90 day return policy - no questions asked. 90 days if a long time to 'test' your new computer.

I'm testing a new HP dv7-3067 cl Entertainment notebook presently - very happy so far - and I do like W7 so far - trying to learn from on-line Web sites as HP gives you no Users Manual anymore (nor do most others too). I'm a XP person :) Also running Firefox and Google Chrome - Chrome is nice but presently lacks all the FF add-ons (like Ad-Block).

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums. boaterbob. I think you'll like HP products, I have had mine for a month now. You mentioned not having a manual. Does your laptop have HP Discovery on it? There's a lot of tips there, although I haven't checked to see if it has a complete manual. There were a couple of manuals with the computer, but they weren't fully detailed. Check with HP and see if you can download one. Hope you enjoy your stay here, and I hope that you will enjoy Windows 7. I was a XP person as well.

Reaction score
Until Adobe comes out with a 64-Bit Flash Player that will work with the 64-Bit browsers. The 32-Bit browser will work just fine. It is a plugin for the browsers that is limited to 32-Bit at the moment. It shouldn't be long before Adobe has a 64-Bit plugin though.

That's made my day Clifford thank you so much. I will let you know how I get on with my new pc, at least I now know that there are a lot of very helpul people in this forum. Happy Christmas.

Ask a Question