Update on help in choosing a new pc.

Reaction score
Hi, as promised I would like to update you on my new pc. I purchased a HP Pavilion p6205uk and I am delighted with it. It has 3GB of DDR3 memory, 1TB hard drive, windows home premium 64 bit, a 20 in wide screen monitor and a lovely keyboard. I feel as though I have gone from an old banger to a sports car. It cost £399.00 and it is money well spent. Thanks for all your advice in my previous post.
Christina

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
That's great! It is always nice to have a up to date computer with the latest components to make your life easier.

Reaction score
I have always avoided commercially manufactured computers. I am at present using a machine built by a local shop. We discussed my requirement thoroughly before deciding on a spec. I have no trial software or unneeded software. No dedicated software either. I have always had a full installation disk supplied. I would settle for nothing less. The shop is about 1 mile from my home in the unlikely event of any problems. No premium rate phone calls and waiting in a queue.

Having said all that, I hope you enjoy your purchase.:)

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
You would think that 64 bit OS would have 4 or more GB of Ram
Windows 7 x64 only need minimum 2GB of RAM. So 3GB does the job quite nicely.

Also, the RAM manufacturer's sell DDR3 RAM in matched kits of either 3GB (3x1GB) or 6GB (3x2GB).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Not to be disrespectful. But Windows 64 bit needs a minimum of 2 GB and 32 bit 1 GB

Reaction score
Even with a minimum of 2GB needed, the 3GB that computer has is more than enough in my opinion. Unless you're going to be running any processes that are memory hogs (intense gaming, mass photo/video editing, etc) I don't think you'd see much difference between 3GB and 4GB. I'm fairly new to W7 though, so the OS might hog more memory than I realize =P

Reaction score
My windows 7 64 bit don't use any more than 1 GB on it's own but as soon as you start anything it needs more. having Battle field 2 and photo shop at the same time needs another 1GB to run them, and having Itunes, Media player, Internet explorer and quicktime on top of that means 3 GB and using other things I have manged to out run 4 GB easy.

Heres what I had open in all 15 aplications at once out-ran 4 GB

So no multitasking for me untill I get 8 GB

Reaction score
Mm, having all that open would definitely cramp your memory lol. I didn't see the original thread made so I'm not sure what Christina has in mind for usage, but for everyday use and whatnot it should be fine. Just as long as she doesn't run those 15 apps =P

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Even with a minimum of 2GB needed, the 3GB that computer has is more than enough in my opinion. Unless you're going to be running any processes that are memory hogs (intense gaming, mass photo/video editing, etc) I don't think you'd see much difference between 3GB and 4GB. I'm fairly new to W7 though, so the OS might hog more memory than I realize =P
You are quite correct in what you have stated. Tom's Hardware did an excellent article back in April of 2009 about how much RAM do we really need.

This is from the "Conclusion" section of the article dated 4-9-2009:

Not much has changed since 4 GB of RAM became the “sweet spot” for performance and price in the enthusiast market. While 32-bit operating systems previously limited those 4 GB configurations to around 3 GB of useful memory space, today's test shows that 3 GB is still usually enough.

We remember days when having multiple Internet Explorer windows open could cause a system to become sluggish. But even that scenario has become unrealistic, as all the configurations we tested in this review supported over 100 open windows simultaneously.

If 3 GB worked so well, why do we continue to recommend 4 GB to 6 GB triple-channel kits for performance systems? Perhaps we’re just a little too forward-looking, but we can certainly imagine scenarios a typical “power user” could encounter where 3 GB might not be enough, even if today’s tests didn’t reveal any of them. For those folks, stepping up to a 64-bit operating system at the same time is undoubtedly the best course of action.

We can only recommend larger capacities of 8 GB to 12 GB for professional applications where its usefulness has already been documented and for servers. None of our tests required high-memory capacities and wasted RAM is a burden both financially and ecologically.

Ask a Question