Help!! booting from backup????

Reaction score
hi guyss
i want to know something...before i asked a Q that i want to make backtup of my pc C drive so i dun have to install OS just i run the backup...n many voted for acronis tre image software...i also found it on top ten reviews website...it was ranked much above...
but there is still a confusion,i was thinking how it will happen....and i got to know some Qs in mind which i want answe...
1.the acronis true image will form back up of C drive(including OS+drivers+softwares+settings) and store in the form of .iso file? m i saying right...
2.that iso can be installed from in same way as i install OS,i mean same booting dvd/or usb method...or it needs some special way(as norton ghost did,using bootable ghost n then run image)
3.suppose that image is stored in another partition of my computer in which i have stored all ISO files...how can i run that particular image from boot menu...cuz i dun know how to open command prompt from DOS,once it was easy when win98 was only OS...but now i dun know how...
(m asking this cuz i guess this image will be huge size n i have only 8gb usb...thats y asking how to boot it from that partition containing other iso too)

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
You need to place that image on another partition (preferably an external drive). Then you need to make a bootable rescue disc or if you instaled Acronis from a cd rom that will serve as your rescue disc. Boot from your cd rescue disc to install your image.

Is your original windows install corrupt?

EDIT: I have re-read your OP and it sounds like you want to make a Livecd like Linux.

I don't know any way of doing that with Windows.

Anybody else?

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Is he trying to create a dual boot system using a ISO image? I'm having some difficulty understanding what he wants to do.

Reaction score
What he is asking for is the same thing I am asking for. I'm asking for a way to make a recovery partition and create my own images.

So far all I have seen is Bootable recovery media on CD/DVD's with backup images either on the DVD or hard drive.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
1.the acronis true image will form back up of C drive(including OS+drivers+softwares+settings) and store in the form of .iso file? m i saying right...
Acronis makes a TIB file - True Image Backup, not an ISO file.

2.that iso can be installed from in same way as i install OS,i mean same booting dvd/or usb method...or it needs some special way(as norton ghost did,using bootable ghost n then run image)
Only Acronis True Image Home can read that TIB file. So if your C drive gets corrupted you can boot with the rescue CD and restore the C drive from that TIB file.

3.suppose that image is stored in another partition of my computer in which i have stored all ISO files...how can i run that particular image from boot menu...cuz i dun know how to open command prompt from DOS,once it was easy when win98 was only OS...but now i dun know how...
(m asking this cuz i guess this image will be huge size n i have only 8gb usb...thats y asking how to boot it from that partition containing other iso too)
It's best if you store the TIB file on another hard drive, either internal hard drive or an external one. I always use the external hard drive setup.

Storing the TIB file on a partition will work, but if the hard drive goes out on you then you have to do a new install on a replacement hard drive.

Spend $50-75 and get a USB external hard drive, plus their handy to store drivers, documents, photos and music files on.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
What he is asking for is the same thing I am asking for. I'm asking for a way to make a recovery partition and create my own images.

So far all I have seen is Bootable recovery media on CD/DVD's with backup images either on the DVD or hard drive.
That's the same thing I created a thread over a while back, making a recovery partition for my laptop. Making the partition is the simple part. Putting the image in there and creating a way to access it when you need it is the tough part. In fact, I'd like to recreate my own on here, too. The one that I have has a lot of "bloatware", but within that bloatware is some good programs. Like Microsoft Works(9.0), CyberLink suite, PC Doctor and a few more. That would be a good finding to run across, a tutorial on how to accomplish this.

Last edited:
Reaction score
ok dear brother...
as i got from ur reply...i have some Qs...

section 1..
1..ok i got,the acronis true image makes TIB files as backup images...but matter is how to run these files to recover that image...cuz my Qs is in case of clean installation,i mean with formatting.
i give u a simple way to make u understand...suppose my OS drive got corrupted,some virus or some software prb...i already have made TIB backups,but what i want is,clean formatting n install that backup...what way i can do that...
2..i am using dell studio 1737 laptop,with 320gb hdd as primary and 500gb as secondary,total 2 hdds are in my system.if i store that TIB image in 500gb secondary hdd in a partition,which has all my iso images,then when i go for clean install,how can i run that image TIB from boot menu...

section2..
Another respected member on this thread said that it is possible to make recovery partition,to store image on it and make some way to initiate it.i mean as i have seen in HP laptops,with pre-installed OS,it comes with a recovery partition too,which activated on pressing F11 in CMOS/boot menu....
my Q is,is there any way that instead i make TIB images,i make this backup n then recover from it...
please answer both sections ,i know it is lengthy Qs but plz answer it,i will be very thankful to u...

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
awaisagha my brother, thank you for restating your question in a clear manner.

Section 1 Part 1 & 2.
The answers are the same. If you have an image made from Acronis (tib). To recover, you need a rescue CD. You can make one from within the Acronis program. You don't need to make one if you have the cd Acronis came on. If you down loaded Acronis, you can make or create a rescue cd from within the program. Place the rescue cd or the acronis cd in the cd drive and restart and you will boot into a rescue environment from which you can point to the tib image and restore it.

Section 2
I don't know of a way to do what you ask here. However, I would love to find out. The recovery partitions on HP laptops allow you to to a complete recovery but wipes your c drive in the process. Also it reloads all the crapware that came with the computer in the first place. I would love to create a recovery partition that was free from all the crap.

Keep asking and the answer is sure to come. I will do the same. Good luck!

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
2..i am using dell studio 1737 laptop,with 320gb hdd as primary and 500gb as secondary,total 2 hdds are in my system.if i store that TIB image in 500gb secondary hdd in a partition,which has all my iso images,then when i go for clean install,how can i run that image TIB from boot menu...
You make a "Recovery Disk" from the Acronis True Image menu. Then make sure you're DVD/CD drive is set to 1st Boot Device in your BIOS. Put in the disc, reboot the computer and wait for the True Image menu to load from the disc. Then navigate to the 500GB drive where the TIB file is stored and begin the restoration process. When Acronis writes the TIB file to the C drive, it completely wipes the old install off the C drive, so there should be no issues.

Easy, peasy, lemon squeezy!

Regarding your Section 2, I think I know where to get that info. But I need to do some checking around though.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Wait! Wait! Wait!

i am using dell studio 1737 laptop,with 320gb hdd as primary and 500gb as secondary,total 2 hdds are in my system.
Am I out of the loop? Are these laptops coming with (2) 2.5" hdd's now??????

Or is this 1 drive and 2 partitions. It makes no sense to keep a back-up image on the same physical drive as C.

Reaction score
Wait! Wait! Wait!

Am I out of the loop? Are these laptops coming with (2) 2.5" hdd's now??????

Or is this 1 drive and 2 partitions. It makes no sense to keep a back-up image on the same physical drive as C.
no no dear bro...it does not come with 2 hdd....it comes with 1 320gb hdd but it has a slot for another one...i had 500gb hdd as usb storage but basically i had all films on it...almost 300movies,downloaded....so i thought to put it in 2nd slot...thats y i have 320+500...hope u will relax now :D

Reaction score

Section 1 Part 1 & 2.
The answers are the same. If you have an image made from Acronis (tib). To recover, you need a rescue CD. You can make one from within the Acronis program. You don't need to make one if you have the cd Acronis came on. If you down loaded Acronis, you can make or create a rescue cd from within the program. Place the rescue cd or the acronis cd in the cd drive and restart and you will boot into a rescue environment from which you can point to the tib image and restore it.

Section 2
I don't know of a way to do what you ask here. However, I would love to find out. The recovery partitions on HP laptops allow you to to a complete recovery but wipes your c drive in the process. Also it reloads all the crapware that came with the computer in the first place. I would love to create a recovery partition that was free from all the crap.

just for info...apart from acronis,how is this software...below...
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/db-express/download.html
it is freeware...thats y m asking...
* working of both paragon and acronis is same,i mean rescue disk,then TIB image....m i right??

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Basically yes, but Paragon uses their own file nomenclature, just as Acronis does.

TIB is specific to Acronis.

Reaction score

Section 1 Part 1 & 2.

Section 2

one more thing...is it possible not to make bootable disk,and instead load that image in usb and do the whole process from usb instead of dvd bootable rescue media?

Ask a Question