need help booting into safe or normal mode without sight

Reaction score
Hello all,
My name is Lynn Williams. I am blind and use speech software on my Windows 7 laptop. I am having some problems with my laptop which is causing it to come up with the screen to choose safe or normal mode. Earlier, a sighted friend helped me with it but she is no longer here and I have no clue how to get this thing going. My speech will not start until I am actually in windows and will not load in safe mode. Can someone tell me how many times I should arrow down or hit enter or what exactly is on the screen when I shut it down with a hard boot and turn it back on? I know it has something to do with safe mode or normal mode but can't tell where to go from there. If nothing else, I suppose I could boot into safe mode then shut it down and see if it will restart normally. If that is the case, how would I go about doing that without being able to see it? Thanks for any help offered.

regards, Lynn Williams

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Welcome GeorgiaLady.

If you could let us know the brand and model of your laptop top it would be helpful.
Do you feel comfortable with the keyboard? Is it equipped with Braille Characters?

Any tidbits of information you give us will help us solve your problem. I admire your willingness to post a question on this forum.

My user name is yodap

Update: I Just booted into safe mode by tapping the F8 key. The safe mode option was one click down on this computer. Yours may be different. So anything you can tell us would be helpful.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Yodap. Thanks for replying. From what I recall, it is a Toshiba 500 C with satelite card. It has home premium 32 bit Windows 7on it. I have only had it since Christmas but have had a few issues wih it. The screen reader I use is called Jaws 11 for Windows, in case anyone is interested in looking at it. It is to be found at www.freedomscientific.com They have a 40 minute demo version that is ffree to download. No, my keyboard has no special keys. I just know my way around it quite well. :) I have been typing since I was 15 and I was sighted then so it's ben no problem for me to continue it affter losing my sight. If this could be better done over the phone and someone wantgs to contact me off list, I will either give you my # or get yu to give me yours. Thanks for any and all help. I HATE not having my laptop running. :(

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Okay Lynn.

Try booting up and hit the down arrow eleven times. That is the "start windows normally" command on my computer. If for some reason that doesn't work, please post back.

Once you are in the normal Win7 environment we can try to find out what happened to cause this problem, if you like. Do you have access to the forum through another computer?

Good luck, yodap

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi and Welcome to the forums.
I am Fire Cat.
Sounds like someone or something messed with msconfig, and changed the boot options in there.

Once you manage to boot into windows (or safe mode) type "msconfig" in the start search bar, without the quotes.
Msconfig is spelled M.S.C.O.N.F.I.G
In msconfig, go to the "boot" tab, and you should be able to change the boot options in there.

Good luck!
Fire Cat

Reaction score
Thank you Firecat and yodap,
Yes, I do have access to my desktop, which is what I am using here with Windows XP. I don't think it is the Msconfig settings as no one but myself has been on my laptop and I have not installed anything new in the last few days. On my last attempt, I arrowed down twice, hit enter and I did manage, I think to finally start in safe mode, because after trying that, I was able to hit start, right arrow to shut down and hit enterr, and it did shut down. It still is not booting up into a normal Windows environment though. So, I am going to try the 11 times down and see if that does anything for me. One thing that I did hear before it conked out on me after my friend left was that there was a conflict running jaws and it said something about the display settings. I can't recall exactly what it was because before I could review the message everything stopped. So, I am going to try this and then I may run the installation/repair disk for Jaws if I can get Windows to come up at all. My husband, who is sighted, will be in late tonight from being out of town so if at all possible, I'd like to have it up and running so he hasn't got to fool around with a computer tonight after driving for 9 hours. Shoot, I'd want to smack myself if I did that. LOL

Thanks and i will update with what, if any, progress I make.

Lynn

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I have installed the trial version of jaws and it has caused some minor problems. My browser (Firefox) crashed and Windows has informed me that my graphics settings has reverted to Win7 basic mode. This graphics setting may be necessary to run the program. Do think this is the message you received?

Reaction score
Hi Yodap & Firecat, I will try to give you the Reader's Digest version of what has been a very stressful and frustrating day. Following Yodap's advice of arrowing down 11 times, I was able to start up in normal mode. What is strange is that the Windows will boot up if I go through it that way. However, if I shut down and try to restart, that same screen comes up again. Also, my Jaws program is claiming to have trouble finding the mirror something or rather file. I know that sounds very technical, but my mind is complete mush at the moment. To make a long story short, I never could get anywhere with either Windows or jaws, without having to do a hard boot then boot into safe mode then arrow down to the "normal" choice. My sighted friend even tried clicking on the run repair thing and it said it could not complete the repair nor could it complete a system restore. So, after contacting the company that tmakes my speech software and not getting anything resolved there, I took my laptop to a local guy that I use when all else fails. he said he would work on it but wanted me to leave it there. I did but I am leaving town on Sunday for a week and really wanted to take it with me. So, I made some inquiries here and there and they are telling me now that I can use the rescue disk that I createted when I first got my computer in order to restore the Windows back to operational settings. They *say* I won't lose any of my data but I'm not so sure about that and I really don't want to have to reinstall all this crap again! LOL So, my question, after all that is, are they right? Should I run the repair disk and if so, what option would I get hubby to click on? Unfortunately, jaws does not work when in safe mode or anything like this. Thanks again for all of your help. I will definitely be coming here for any help I may need with this stuff.

Regards, Lynn

Reaction score
I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT YES, THE Windows 7 basic display settings are best for Jaws to read it clearly and mine are set at that. In addition, I too have noticed that Firefox seems to crash a lot with this version if Jaws for some reason. I reported it but they tell me they haven't had any other reports of this. Yeah, sure. So, I either put up with it or use I.E., which doesn't have that issue but in my opinion, is not as good or as clean as Firefox. I appreciate your taking the time to download and install it to see if it had any effect. Pretty cool, huh? I use the real speak voices instead of the one that comes with it. He sounds o robotic. ;)_

Thanks, Lynn

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I am at a loss here Lynn.
I can't help but think the software is part of, if not all the problem. I uninstalled it (with Revo Uninstaller) and my computer is back to normal. I did not experience the same problems as you, however.

I would suggest uninstalling the program temporarily and seeing if that helps before doing a system repair job. The program comes with it's own uninstaller and it works well. If your computer gets back to normal after the uninstall then the problem source has been identified.

I think you should get it back from the guy and take it with you on your trip. We know you can boot into normal mode by navigating down 11 times and all runs well. It's a bit of a pain in the arse but it works. Why not enjoy it?

We can continue when you get back if you care to. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help given the time limitations but you can always seek answers here in the future.

Have a nice trip, yodap

Reaction score
Hello Yodap,

I arrived home last night and am once again tackling my lap top issues. I have come to the conclusion that I am going to have to do a repair/install on my Windows 7. I found the following instructions but have a couple of questions about them.
1. Start Windows 7, and log on to an administrator account.

OK, So far, so good...

2. Disable any 3rd party firewall, antivirus, or other security program to avoid it from possibly preventing the repair upgrade installation of Windows

Wow, I can do that too! Maybe I'm getting somewhere?

3. Place your Windows 7 installation DVD into the DVD drive, while still in Windows 7 (Step 1), and click on the Run setup.exe option in the AutoPlay window
from within the currently installed Windows 7. (See screenshot below)
NOTE: If the AutoPlay window does not open, then open the drive folder in Computer and run the setup.exe file.
block quote
Repair Install-autoplay.jpg

Uh-Oh!

OK, First of all, I don't have an installation disk. What I have is one disk that I created and named Rescue disk as instructed by Windows. I also have 3 disks that are numbered 1 - 3 and named "Recovery". Again, as instructed by Windows. I have my sighted husband on hand here so he could watch what happens on the screen as we muddle through this. When I put either one of the disks I jusgt mentioned in the drive, nothing happens other than "Open Folder to View Files". There is no setup.exe to be found. The Recovery disk #1 does have a file called windows image. But, if you open that, there is still no setup.exe file. I did some further researching and discovered that I am supposed to boot up into a disk. Which one, I have no clue. But, if I do that, how will I be able to repair without losing all of my data files such as my documents and others that I wish to keep? Any thoughts on this? P.S. I have no speech from Jaws during an install or boot up session.

Thanks, Lynn

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Lynn!

Ok, so firstly, have you tried doing a system restore to before you started having problems?

If you have to go with the repair, do as follows:
1. Turn on your computer, and boot into windows.
2. Put the first recovery disk into the DVD drive.
3. Reboot the computer.
4. If your computer's BIOS is set to have the DVD as first boot device, you should get a message instructing you to press a key to load the DVD. If not, you'll have to change that in the BIOS boot options.
5. Follow the instructions ;)

Cheers,
Fire Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
When I go to the website, Windows 7 is not listed as a supported OS, so maybe they haven't updated the website or maybe they haven't figured out how to make it work. Have you tried opening a support ticket with the company to see what ideas they have?

BTW, your recovery discs should repair system files, not overwrite data.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
When I go to the website, Windows 7 is not listed as a supported OS, so maybe they haven't updated the website or maybe they haven't figured out how to make it work. Have you tried opening a support ticket with the company to see what ideas they have?

BTW, your recovery discs should repair system files, not overwrite data.
If the software isn't compatible, have you tried running Jaws compatibility mode for vista or XP?

Reaction score
Hi Firecat,

Thanks four your advice. :) In fact, I did try the system restore a few times and it refuses to do it. I have tried quite a few things, short of throwing the stupid thing upside the wall and all to no avail. I was getting ready to try the very thing you sugggested, which was to go into the bios menu. Which, of course, leads me to a new question. How the heck do I get there? Keep in mind, I am visually impaired and my speech does not work until windows loads. And, while my husband is a great guy, he is, shall we say, ahem, electronically challenged. If you can tell me how to go into the bios, I can probably walk him through it. I have been told a couple of different things but I want to make sure I choose the right way.

Thanks again, lynn

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Firecat,

Thanks four your advice. :) In fact, I did try the system restore a few times and it refuses to do it. I have tried quite a few things, short of throwing the stupid thing upside the wall and all to no avail. I was getting ready to try the very thing you sugggested, which was to go into the bios menu. Which, of course, leads me to a new question. How the heck do I get there? Keep in mind, I am visually impaired and my speech does not work until windows loads. And, while my husband is a great guy, he is, shall we say, ahem, electronically challenged. If you can tell me how to go into the bios, I can probably walk him through it. I have been told a couple of different things but I want to make sure I choose the right way.

Thanks again, lynn

Ok, so to go into the BIOS, it's pretty easy.
When you turn on your computer a screen appears breafly before the actual Windows boot. That's the POST screen. On that screen will be displayed something like "Press F4 to enter setup...". Just ask your husband to check which key it is, and then to press it. This must be done while the POST screen is still visible.
That will bring you to a menu with tabs. Ask him to navigate to the "Boot" tab, and select something like "Boot device priority...". That's where you can change the boot options.

Cheers,
Fire Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It's not easy to get to the BIOS if you can't see it. Generally you start the computer from off and a message is displayed for a couple seconds "F2 Bios" (or maybe another key like F10, depending on your motherboard) - the proper key is displayed on your screen so your hubby will need to watch for it.

Once in the BIOS movement is generally by the arrow keys, the + and -, page up and page down, enter and escape. When you leave the BIOS you can Save and exit or Exit without saving ... obviously if you made changes that you want to apply you need to Save and exit.

If the only reason you are going into BIOS is to set Boot Priority, most computers ship with it checking the DVD/CD drire before checking the HD so it would be faster and safer to put a bootable disk in the DVD/CD drive to see if it boots from it then it would be to check the BIOS.

Reaction score
Well, the final chapter has been written. Thanks to all of the help from Yodap and Firecat, my laptop is now up and running and *seems* to be performing as it should. Now, on to the next book!! LOL Can either or both of you point me to an easy to follow “how to” on how to share the files between my laptop and my desktop? It was set up before but I did not do it and did not see how it was done. My desktop (windows xp)has a laser printer, which is already set up for sharing so I would like to be able to print from my lap top (Windows 7) as well. I have Netgear wireless for internet and such so would really appreciate any help you all can point me to.

Thanks again for all of your very kind and patient help and understanding.

Smiles, lynn

Ask a Question