SOLVED Help!: Administrator has locked himself out of a file

Reaction score
ok so I'm new to having a shared pc, and I tried to lock a file from another users access and I accidently blocked access to all administrators.

here are the steps I think I took to lock my self out
1.Right Click on the file
2.Properties
3.Security
4.and I accidently denied access to all Administrators
5.and it went downhill from there

Its a REALLY important work file, so this is Urgent please help

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You best get in as the Global Administrator and sort it out!

There are a couple of ways:
Open a command prompt(Run as Administrator.
Type the following command and enter.
net user administrator /active
Log out and see if you have a new alternative login, as well as your existing one. If not, do it the long way.
Shut down the computer for a cold boot. Tap the "F8" key as you are booting.
Select "Safe Mode with networking" from the boot menu.
Log into windows 7 with your personal account that holds the administrator access.
Open a command window (START--->RUN--->CMD.exe). At the command prompt type the following net user administrator /active
Log out and log back in as administrator.

You should then be able to access the other users and alter the security state.

Another way
Go to Start
Type Control UserPasswords2.
Click Advanced.
Click Advanced again.
Select Users.
Select Administrator and untick the the box “Administrator is disabled”
Now log out and login as Administrator.
The action leaves you a little more vulnerable to outside attack. Not a big issue if you are confident with your anti virus control etc.

Last edited:
Reaction score
:( first two didnt work and the lasts not the issue

I am the Admin and I still have all the powers,its just that I stop all admin's from accessing the folder

i will upload some pics maybe they can help

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
In Windows 7 there is a difference between having administrator privileges and being "The Administrator". By default "The Administrator" is assigned ownership to all system files but is set up as a non-login account. So in other words "The Administrator" owns everything but never logs on. Dave is trying to tell you how to change the settings so that you can actually logon as "The Administrator" account, NOT your account.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That was one thing that I could never understand with Windows 7 (and Vista). When you installed XP Pro (and Win 2K), you created a administrator password during the install, therefore getting to the admin account was a piece of cake. I've ran into situations myself where I didn't have control (with Win 7) of my own files, but that's been awhile back.

I guess some genius at M$ decided that we didn't know how to control our own computers, so it was setup to make it hard to do so. And to top it all off, many of us that bought OEM (retail) didn't even get a Windows 7 handbook. They, along with a reinstall disc that didn't have "crapware" on it, came with many computers in past years. I still have the original Windows manuals for 2K & XP Pro that describes these issues in detail, along with the reinstall discs.

How much money was really saved by not providing these items for us, about $5?

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You might try restoring the system with an old restore point and see if it restores your access. Or since it's a very important file, you probably have a back-up which you could restore.

That's all I can think of.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Go through the steps you describe again. But at that Window, select "Advanced"
In the next window, select the "Permissions" tab.
At this point, if you can see your own username, select it and the edit. Make sure all the boxes are ticked and then back ou of the windows and see if you have regained permission.

Reaction score
Thanks for the schooling guys, think of me as a mega noob, so im not "The Administrator" any more :(

Iv tryed syRestore and thats for programs and it leaves your files same :mad:

and iv tryed the Net User administrator/active and i get the response in the pic bellow.

unfortunatly i still cant get in, but my understanding in Windows 7 has increased

Attachments

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
If one is the only user of their computer, there is no need to do an administrator password during install or setup.

I have done this for years.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Try the command prompt syntax again. This time follow my previous post a little more accurately. There must be a space between "Administrator" and /active

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
If one is the only user of their computer, there is no need to do an administrator password during install or setup.

I have done this for years.
You're very correct about that, as long as you don't allow others to use your computer. You don't need to create an admin password at all, nor a standard password.

The reason that I have one (on XP), is that sometimes company needs to check email, ball game scores, etc. For that reason, an admin password is necessary, as well as turning the guest account on, and checking the option to make your files private.

It would be good for these options to be offered again, to make things simple.

Cat

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I don't think the password is an issue in this thread!!!!

Reaction score
sorry, tried and i did get the other login account but it didnt give me access to the file, it just gave me the same answer "you dont access"

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I don't think the password is an issue in this thread!!!!
You're right, it isn't. But if we had the option to logon as administrator, then the OP could do what is needed.

We don't have that option, that's my point in this thread. I hope that you see what I mean.

Cat

Reaction score
IT'S ALIVE!, :D my deadline is in 2day's and you guys made it so I dont get in deep shit so thanks you very much.

TrainableMan's "Take Ownership" has worked I now have complete access to the file

Big thanks to Davehc.

Have a happy new guys

Ask a Question