Hard Drive Recovery Error: "Windows setup could not configure windows to run ...

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
gagger, what type DVD are you trying to use to install ... A disk you burned originally? Sony OEM W7 DVD? Microsoft W7 DVD?

If this is not a Microsoft W7 DVD then all I can think is to download Microsoft's version and burn it to DVD with IMGBurn then try installing from that. I don't know what else to suggest.

BTW, the reason I mentioned the RAID setting in BIOS is because apparently RAID Array drivers are not on the DVD and so if it is set for RAID that could be why is can't install. Sometimes critical drivers for certain setups are not on the W7 DVD and those drivers have to be downloaded and a USB thumb drive created with the W7 install and the extra drivers before it can install.

Reaction score
I am using my Sony OEM disk.

I have 1 HD. RAID is only for multiple HD, right? Anyway, as mentioned before, Sony will not let me change the config of my hard drives in my BIOS.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
All I can say is maybe try the Microsoft W7 SP1 DVD. I don't know what else to suggest because the only thing I can think of is a bad BIOS setting or missing drivers on the install media.

Reaction score
I have the same problem. I have swapped out countless HDD's in my time with many different manufacturers and have never encountered this problem. The BIOS is extremely limited, there are no settings for AHCI or sata or anything like that. There is the boot order and thats about it.

I am putting it down to Sony being overly strict in their hardware check. They may have done this to make sure people buy the HDD from them but when your product is primarily being sold by retail outlets and not by somewhere that can actually fix the machine the last place the customer will go to get it fixed is where they bought it.

So my advice to my clients is don't buy a Sony laptop as you may not be able to do something as simple as upgrade or swap the HDD if it fails.

Reaction score
I installed Ubuntu successfully and I checked error logs and found them to indicate the error involving the RAID configuration during installation of Windows 7 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2466753) even thought I have one HDD.

I am currently running Ubuntu fine except an incompatibility with 12.04 and my wireless card, but Ubuntu supports advanced format drives where Windows 7 does not always.

Reaction score
I installed Ubuntu successfully and I checked error logs and found them to indicate the error involving the RAID configuration during installation of Windows 7 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2466753) even thought I have one HDD.

I am currently running Ubuntu fine except an incompatibility with 12.04 and my wireless card, but Ubuntu supports advanced format drives where Windows 7 does not always.
I don't think RAID is the problem. It certainly wasn't with mine as my tech net version of Windows installs on the laptop with no problem and that wouldn't have any more RAID or AHCI drivers than the recovery disc would have. It looks like it is Sony being tards with the OEM hardware check (this is a check to ensure that the OEM software you are installing isn't being installed on a different laptop or PC... it's a form of DRM). The change of a HDD does not make any difference to the drivers needed for RAID or AHCI and the fact a vanilla version of windows goes on there fine proves that it isn't a driver problem.

This is just Sony trying to treat a laptop like a PS3/TV/Stereo. Earth to Sony, people sometimes change the hard drive on laptops and normally don't need any special help from you to do it.

BTW RAID can be enabled with only one HDD. It won't be of any benefit, but you still need RAID drivers to access the drive.

Reaction score
I don't think RAID is the problem. It certainly wasn't with mine as my tech net version of Windows installs on the laptop with no problem and that wouldn't have any more RAID or AHCI drivers than the recovery disc would have. It looks like it is Sony being tards with the OEM hardware check (this is a check to ensure that the OEM software you are installing isn't being installed on a different laptop or PC... it's a form of DRM). The change of a HDD does not make any difference to the drivers needed for RAID or AHCI and the fact a vanilla version of windows goes on there fine proves that it isn't a driver problem.

This is just Sony trying to treat a laptop like a PS3/TV/Stereo. Earth to Sony, people sometimes change the hard drive on laptops and normally don't need any special help from you to do it.

BTW RAID can be enabled with only one HDD. It won't be of any benefit, but you still need RAID drivers to access the drive.
Too bad my laptop is out of warranty, at least there is a Sony store 30 miles away from me where I can bitch at them until they fix it and not have to pay extra for a useless phone call.

Reaction score
Sony Vaio -- Model No. VPCF115FM
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)

The laptop came loaded with Windows 7 and Microsoft Office 2007.

Recently, the computer started indicating an error:

"SMART Failure Predicted on Hard Disk" and it prompted me to boot using F1 and then backup my data.

Step 1: I used Sony Vaio Care to create 2 sets of Recovery Disks and then used Drive Cloner RX to backup all of my data manually and a system image onto a new Seagate external hard drive.

Step 2: I purchased a new Hitachi 750 GB (7200 rpm) 2.5 SATA hard drive from Comp USA. The computer's original hard drive is a Hitachi HTS545050B9SA00 500 GB 5200 rpm.

Step 3: I removed the original hard drive and installed the new one. Then, inserted Recovery Disk 1 and then Disk 2. After the prompt to restart the computer to finalize Windows setup I received this error message:

"Windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computers hardware."

I then click okay and subsequently receive this message:

"Windows could not complete the installation. To install windows on this computer, restart the installation."

Question:

Is anyone familiar with this?
If so, is there a work around to properly load windows 7 in this instance?

Also:

1. Is there a way to boot using the system image from my external drive and re-install that way? If so, what are the best steps?

2. Or, can I use my recovery disks and some type of work around to re-install the OS and factory software?

Note: There are no outstanding issues with the laptop. The computer came preloaded with Windows 7; I have the product key on the computer base. It also came loaded with Microsoft Office, but I don't have the key for that? Sony Vaio laptops don't come with physical CD's -- the data is on a partition within the hard drive -- and you have to create the mfg disks yourself.

Sony Vaio Hard Drive Failure, Sony Vaio Hard Disk Failure, Smart Failure, Windows Could Not Complete the Installation, Windows Setup Could Not Configure Windows to Run on this Computer, Windows 7, Sony Vaio Hard Disk Failure, Sony Viao Laptop
hello did you ever found out the solution to your problem??? I am having the same issue with my viao i have spent 300$ and im really hopping i dont have to spend any more...???...my Viao came with a seagate 500gb spinning at 7200 RPM i believe and i replaced it with a 1tb spinning at 5400 rpm...i tried using recovery discs that i had, but they didnt work, sony tech recommended i buy new one, i did, 75$, received in the mail..and from there...exact error as yours, this is my first time on a forum so i dont know if you will get this or any1 will be able to read it, but if you do or some1 else please reply thanku...mean while i will be trying to become a better user on this site n navigate correctly...

Reaction score
Sony Viao Hard Drive Replacement/Recovery Media/Discs Kit Fail/Error

I f you have a Viao at least one that is 2-3 years old and you received a SMART warning about your hard drive failing and failure is imminent than PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE MAKING A PURCHASE first i would like to state i have an old viao vpc-f1190x and i received this alert, i went to best buy to purchase an external HD and a new internal HD for my PC, the old was a Seagate 500gb spinning at 7200 rpm the Best Buy rep/Geek Squad employee urged me/recommended me/requested that upon replacement to upgrade! Why not? Who wouldnt? he said...so i did, Western Digital 1tb spinning at 5400 rpm i came home and replaced it the following day, i tried using my old recovery discs/media kit that i had from the same issue i had prior but they did not work, i called up sony and spoke to a tech/rep...they told me to buy the recovery discs/media kit and it would fix my problem...IT DID NOT...i was able to enter all the discs but upon reconfiguration/reboot with the new HD and new software nothing happened but this error WINDOWS SETUP COULD NOT CONFIGURE WINDOWS TO RUN ON THIS COMPUTERS HARDWARE followed by WINDOWS COULD NOT COMPLETE THE INSTALLATION. TO INSTALL WINDOWS ON THIS COMPUTER, RESTART THE INSTALLATION which is an endless loop. you would receive the same prompt about a week later i got a hold of a Sony rep via IM/chat and told them my whole situation, in short no refund for the money i spent, no discount, not even an apology...but he gives me a solution he said, which i now leave to you the READER he said when replacing anything on a VIAO replace using the EXACT SAME parts i have lost countless hours and time as well as gas and much frustration, i only hope that there is someone out there reading this and does not make all the mistakes i did...i am not a computer expert or anything close to knowledgeable when it comes to these kind of things, i will now buy the correct HD/the HD that the PC came with, repeat the whole process and come back to the web site to post what happens...good day to you

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Pardon in for jumping in.

I have Sony VIAOs for years until they switched to SSD I moved to Apple.
I normally upgraded my Sony VIAO whenever a better one came out. I had gone through 4 to 5 VIOAs starting from its 11" baby.

I never had any problem with VIAOs on hard drive. Here is my way of doing things For Your Reference.

First Sony Website has all the hardware specific drivers and related Sony applications, download them first and store it off in a separate SD card (about 20 installations later needed to be done).

When I bought a new VIAO, I just bought a better and faster drive along with it.
The first thing I do is to install a Paragon Hard Drive Manager, or you may use different software, I duplicate the drive to the new drive and remove the original drive and used the new drive. After a while (few weeks or months) I duplicated the drive back to its original drive. I rotated the drives.
I had my laptop VIAO pick-pocketed while up an escalator. It had a 500G and 70% full drive. I went to a Sony store within couple hours and bought a new one but can't find the same model. I pull out its hard drive and put in my old one duplicated from the stolen machine. In a day I got the whole thing running again except missing couple of weeks of emails.

You cannot install Windows7 on a VIAO because Microsoft purposely persuaded all the notebook manufacturer to use SATA drive and Windows just don't recognize it so you need to install the hard drive driver during Windows setup, that is if you know how to do it and have the driver handy. Windows XP and Windows 7 will not run on external hard drive that is another thing that Microsoft did and I had tried for two full weeks and finally gave up. It would be nice to have an USB 32G thumb dirve has it own Windows XP or Windows 7 on it so you don't need to carry a notebook around, and you don't worry about your machine dies or won't boot.

Bottom line the key to solution: Duplicate drive and fix up the drivers. Micro$oft is not nice but don't look around, Apple is worst -- in controlling your hardware and software!

Ask a Question