GPU/Monitor - Random Screens of "death"

Reaction score
I recently built a new computer a couple weeks ago, and I've been having a problem with random screens of "death". I haven't been able to figure out what's causing them, so I'm hoping there's someone on here that could be of help :)

Here are 2 pictures of the problem (sorry for the large images):

I've only had it happen when I'm playing World of Warcraft (though I haven't run any other graphically trying things), but the times that it occurs have been random. I've had it after 30 minutes of playing, I've had it after 4 hours of playing, and I've gone for a couple of days without it occurring...

My whole computer doesn't freeze, just the screen goes bonkers (i.e. if I have music playing in the background it will continue play once the screen cuts out). The only odd thing is that if I jiggle the wire for my monitor, THEN my music will stall.

As far as I can tell, it's not an overheating problem - I've tried all the normal overheating solutions and none have worked. Also, I ran GPU-Z until I got the error to check for oddities, but I can't spot any. I uploaded the log to Megaupload (since the 521kb size was too big for the forums) too if it'll be of any use: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NHRK4M6K

My computer specs are in my profile, but here's a link to a Newegg wish list with all of my components: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=8568829
(NOTE: I'm using an Acer 19" monitor, shown here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...073&cm_re=acer_AL1916W-_-24-009-073-_-Product I just couldn't add it to my wish list because it was unavailable =P )

I appreciate any help and feedback that I get! Thanks in advance!
Also, if I left out any info that could be useful, please let me know ;)

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
That's strange. Are you using the latest ATI driver for your HD 5770 card?

Does the Acer monitor use a driver also, if so, do you have it loaded?

BTW, nice system you have there! I am a little covetous. :adore:

Reaction score
Thanks Nib =)

I do have the newest ATI driver for my graphics card (installed it twice to see if maybe the first install didn't complete or something), and I got the latest update for my acer monitor about a week ago.

I'm wondering if my monitor is just going for some reason... I'm gonna have to see if I can scrounge up an old one and see if it still happens. Otherwise it seems like I'm looking at a Graphics Card or MoBo problem :(

Reaction score
Thanks for the info you two! I think I installed the latest chipset, but I can't remember off the top of my head, so that's probably a sign that I forgot it =P
I'm currently in the process of heading back to college and all that fun stuff, but I'm gonna have to see if that was indeed the problem when I get my rig set up again!

Reaction score
So after getting everything updated and all that good stuff, I'm still having those random screens. I updated to the new Catalyst CC 10.1 as well, but it's still happening... Bleh.

Ask a Question