GPU Folding on a HTPC

Reaction score
I ran across a good deal on a 9600GSO (the 96 SP version), but have one question before I bite the bullet. I would be putting it in my HTPC rig with a Q6600 OC'd to 3.4 running the SMP client. Will I run into any problems watching TV on it while folding on it? I don't have a problem doing so while running the SMP client on the Quad, but wasn't sure how the GPU client works in that regards (haven't GPU folded before). There's only one PCI-E slot on the board so that would be the only graphics card on the system. I don't want to waste my time and money on the card if I can't use it to do both.

Reaction score
Hi PapaSmurf - Welcome to w7forums

Thanks for supporting our team. :)

Do you currently have this HTPC system folding?
Are you not able to watch TV with the on-board graphics currently in the system while folding?

The reason I ask, I watch videos all the time. Both my Core2 Quad Q9400 and EVGA GTS 450 are folding 24/7 at 100% usage.

Back to your question though, I'm not absolutely positive on the answer. My first thoughts are the 9600 should be fine for watching videos and folding at the same time.

Edit:
Scratch the two questions, I re-read your post and gathered the answer is yes to both.
My eyes are playing tricks on me, I think it's about time for glasses. :(

Last edited:

Ask a Question