SOLVED Genuine Microsoft products

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Over recent days, there has been an increase in reports of blue screens and startup malfunction. I made a reference to this problem some time ago, but, as a reminder, this is worthwhile reading.

There has been a sudden spate of BSOD's over recent days. It could be associated with these two items from Microsoft's pages.

"Validation helps confirm that a copy of Windows Vista is activated and properly licensed. Users may be asked to validate their copy of Windows when they download content that is reserved for users of genuine Windows from the Microsoft Download Center. Validation can also occur as part of an update from Windows Update. In some instances, a computer that has previously passed validation may fail the validation process. This may happen because Microsoft constantly discovers new forms of piracy. As new forms of piracy are discovered, Microsoft updates the anti-piracy components to help disable the emerging threats and therefore, a copy of Windows that previously passed validation may fail a later validation check. Copies of Windows Vista that are unable to validate as genuine may need to activate and validate again in order to maintain full functionality. "

From the same page, if you feel you have been deceievd into the purchase of a doubtful genune copy:

"If your copy of Windows is not genuine, Microsoft can help you to quickly fix the problem and get genuine. Customers can contact Microsoft Support or visit the Microsoft Genuine Advantage support page to resolve the problem. Microsoft also offers several options to help victims of counterfeit software obtain a legal copy of Windows, including a complimentary offer for victims who were deceived into buying high-quality counterfeit copies. Read the Frequently Asked Questions to learn more about genuine Windows offers. "

The portion I have "bolded" refers to this link. Well worth reading.
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/vi...en&sGuid=e5388ded-4590-4838-a197-23b3b4a787f4http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/ProgramInfo.aspx

Whilst I would emphasise that I do not, in any way, support pirating. If you feel you may have a less than genuine copy of Windows, one solution is to turn off updates.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Excellent post davehc!

I believe there are quite a few posting here that have gotten their Windows 7 from P2P websites.

I for one only use the genuine MS install and product key, no issues. Period!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
If your Windows version is genuine, you should have no problems with updating, because you have nothing to fear. This day and time, you need all of the updates you can get. For those who obtain your versions from P2P sites, you have a lot to fear. First of all, you can't obtain programs reserved for Genuine Windows customers, like MSE, Windows Defender, Windows Media Player and perhaps more. But the biggest chance you're taking (besides the civil and criminal penalities) is running a system that is full of spyware, putting yourself at risk for financial theft, having and spreading viruses all over the net, to the point that your ISP may disconnect your service. Running Genuine Windows gives you peace of mind in so many ways. You don't have to be looking over your shoulder, and should you need professional help, you can get it.

Reaction score
For what it's worth: You absolutely can get MSE, Windows Defender, Media Player and all the updates you want if you pirate Windows 7. The same was true of Vista, and the same was true of Windows XP.

If you're intelligent at pirating Microsoft products, there is no risk of viruses or spyware. Microsoft has persistently tried to claim that these ISOs are infected simply for the sake of encouraging legitimacy, but the claim is, unfortunately, quite the myth.

My copy of Windows is legal because Microsoft made a compelling product with 7. It is their best OS ever, and they should be rewarded for their efforts.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
For what it's worth: You absolutely can get MSE, Windows Defender, Media Player and all the updates you want if you pirate Windows 7. The same was true of Vista, and the same was true of Windows XP.

If you're intelligent at pirating Microsoft products, there is no risk of viruses or spyware. Microsoft has persistently tried to claim that these ISOs are infected simply for the sake of encouraging legitimacy, but the claim is, unfortunately, quite the myth.

My copy of Windows is legal because Microsoft made a compelling product with 7. It is their best OS ever, and they should be rewarded for their efforts.
Very succinct and to the point! I couldn't agree more.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It is most certainly their best OS ever, and it is my hope that Microsoft has learned from their mistakes. If so, we will be able to say the same for all subsequent OS's that they produce. I've been a Windows user since 1999, and always will be, for better or worse.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Thank you for your observation, Thrax. However, I don't really think it is quite relevant to the contents of my op. No offence intended, I would just like to guide the thread on track.
Microsoft, in the linked aticles, are not disputing the availability of pirated material. I read the articles as, you might say, a friendly warning or "shot across the bows" for a worst case scenario.

Last edited:
Reaction score
With respect, I was only responding to Catilley's comments. :)

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I think validation of your copy of Windows 7 is important, Microsoft has got it right with Windows 7 this time and should be paid in full for this brilliant Operating System.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
For those who obtain your versions from P2P sites . . . you can't obtain programs reserved for Genuine Windows customers, like MSE, Windows Defender, Windows Media Player . . .
Incorrect.

But the biggest chance you're taking . . . is running a system that is full of spyware . . .
Absolutely true, and ought to function as a deterrent.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Incorrect. While there may very well be a workaround to get these programs, it's probably a lot of trouble and not worth it. If I install a Windows OS of any kind, I want to be able to properly get updates, and don't even want to know the details of doing it any other way.

Absolutely true, and ought to function as a deterrent.
Agreed! And hopefully, that's what will happen.

Ask a Question