From Windows 7 to Windows 7

Reaction score
I have an Asus lap top that came with vista on it, and wanted to get Windows 7. So i used the student discount through microsoft to get windows 7 professional. While waiting for the hard copy in the mail, a friend gave me a copy of a pirated windows 7 to use in the mean time. Its been a month and im still waiting for the disc so i decided to use the internet download. Everytime i try and install it, i get in I/O error. Is this because i have a fake copy?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums, ryanj91! Look, we don't give support to pirated copies of Microsoft software on here. That's the bottom line. When your legal version arrives, come back and we'll help you.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
My best advise would be to wipe the drive and reinstall Vista and/or get in touch with whomever you purchased Windows 7 from as I don't think you should need to wait a month for delivery.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
"get in touch with whomever you purchased Windows 7 from as I don't think you should need to wait a month for delivery. "
That's the bottom line! Something has gone wrong there!

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums, ryanj91! Look, we don't give support to pirated copies of Microsoft software on here. That's the bottom line. When your legal version arrives, come back and we'll help you.
catilley1092 - I don't believe he was wanting help with his "pirate" version of Windows 7. He just wanted some advice on what he should do. Your response, IMO, was a little short.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
ryanj91 - when you bought your copy of the student disc, did they send you a product key to you via email? That's how it has been going with nearly all the student purchases of Windows 7.

Also, there has been a TON of issues with the download link supplied for the students. Here in Austin, TX a lot of them have had trouble with it.

Go to this page: https://www.w7forums.com/windows-7-iso-official-direct-download-links-t2910.html

Then download the version of Windows 7 Professional you need. The x64 version is 3.02 GB ISO image and the x86 version is about 2.30GB ISO image.

Burn the ISO image to a blank DVD using ImgBurn, it's free, and burn at 4x speed to get an accurate burn. Use the "verify" function to make sure you got a good burn and then go ahead with your install.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
catilley1092 - I don't believe he was wanting help with his "pirate" version of Windows 7. He just wanted some advice on what he should do. Your response, IMO, was a little short.
Sorry, I mainly noticed the pirated issue. I didn't at all mean to be or sound harsh. I apoligize with all sincerities. I just don't agree with piracy.

Reaction score
yeah, my problem wasn't the pirated version but the fact the legitimate copy i bought through microsoft wasnt installing properly. Problem is solved though, the DVD came in the other day and everything works fine now. thanks for all the responses

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I'm glad that your proper DVD came in, and now you can enjoy the Windows 7 experience. There's no other OS like it, in terms of ease of install, use, productivity and most of all, enjoying to use your computer the way it was meant to be. Best wishes to you, and should you ever need assistance, feel free to post here. This forum, for the most part, is one big, happy family, and will go the distance to help anyone in need.

Reaction score
you sound like a spokesperson for microsoft lol. Well, everything was going good until yesterday when my wireless card decided to stop working. Everytime i try updating the drivers, my computer completely freezes. So i went to device manager, uninstalled it, and then tried to reinstall the drivers. After my compuer was frozen for about a minute a window pops up saying the the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. The network adaptor is an Atheros AR928X and im running Windows 7 professional. Anybody have any ideas???

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
you sound like a spokesperson for microsoft lol. Well, everything was going good until yesterday when my wireless card decided to stop working. Everytime i try updating the drivers, my computer completely freezes. So i went to device manager, uninstalled it, and then tried to reinstall the drivers. After my compuer was frozen for about a minute a window pops up saying the the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. The network adaptor is an Atheros AR928X and im running Windows 7 professional. Anybody have any ideas???
Can you try a System Restore near (prior to) the time this happened. This fixes a lot of problems, and is usually the first action to try. Try that and post back.

Reaction score
already tried that, but i hadnt made a restore point for windows so it wouldnt work

Ask a Question