Frequent freezing / BSOD

Reaction score
Hi, I've been getting a lot of freezes and bluescreens lately, and this laptop is fairly new so I'm wondering what the deal is.

Motherboard (according to CPU-Z): ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Model U50F
CPU: Intel Core i3 330M @ 2.13GHz
RAM: 4GB DDR3

I attached a folder with 8 minidump documentations in it, and I'm pretty sure they're all different..

Thanks in advance!! :)

EDIT: if it's any help, I just attached the dxdiag text file..

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey there.

First you'll want to uninstall the notorious Norton/Symantec using the tool found here in safe mode:

http://www.symantec.com/norton/supp...e=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN&ln=en_US

Reboot and install MSE to replace it, which will never bsod on you.

-------------

Then uninstall Daemon Tools in the normal method. After, use the installer/uninstaller found here to carefully remove sptd.sys which is equally notorious:

http://www.duplexsecure.com/en/downloads

Reboot.
If you have any further crashes after doing this, please post the dump so we can take things from there.

Reaction score
The thing is, my school (Temple University) has this dumb rule that if a student wants to use the school's internet, which I do daily, we have to have some Symantec program.. There was actually no way of getting internet access without having the program installed. Regardless, I just uninstalled it with the risk of getting my internet access taken away...

Works for me, thanks!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You should not go without some form of protection and it is not recommended to use two active anti-virus programs so either use MSE as suggested or use norton, one or the other but not both.

There are different versions of Norton, I personally have Norton Internet Security, and although I am not happy with it it doesn't BSOD my machine, so if say 360 is causing errors you might try IS.

At the very least try removing the Daemon tools and sptd.sys and see if that solves the problem. I do not think I would be willing to risk loosing Internet privileges.

(My issue with Norton is the lack of 64-bit support and a very poor exceptions process to override things Norton feels are bad and I know aren't).

Reaction score
I uninstalled Norton (I'm pretty sure this was the problem, I've had problems with a different Norton program in the past on my desktop) and installed MSE.
Then I used the uninstaller TorrentG provided and removed sptd.sys.

Now that I think about it, the blue screens started when I moved into my dorm.. which is also when I was required to install Norton.. So if the school gives me crap about it, I'm just going to tell them the situation and it would probably be all good..

So far I haven't had a bluescreen since I did all that, thanks :)

Just curious, what's so bad about Daemon Tools anyway?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I personally use Daemon Tools (and Norton IS) with no blue screen problems at all but TorrentG has seen numerous cases where the drivers used cause BSOD and when you are trying to fix a problem you tend to utilize past experiences to eliminate known trouble-makers first. As you can attest, this technique worked for you, and I have seen it work in numerous other threads as well.

Reaction score
Your school is never going to know which antvirus or firewall you have. Just keep your machine malware free by scanning with Malwarebytes every so often so it doesn't create a nuisance on the network at all. That's their only concern.

Reaction score
Hi, I've been getting a lot of freezes and bluescreens lately, and this laptop is fairly new so I'm wondering what the deal is.

Motherboard (according to CPU-Z): ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Model U50F
CPU: Intel Core i3 330M @ 2.13GHz
RAM: 4GB DDR3

I attached a folder with 8 minidump documentations in it, and I'm pretty sure they're all different..

Thanks in advance!! :)

EDIT: if it's any help, I just attached the dxdiag text file..

I have random unknow causes for with this same file, however I hate norton and will never install the software no matter what version it is. any other thoughts about this?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Floggin, please start a fresh thread in the BSOD section and follow the instructions on how to zip and attach the dump files after a BSOD. Our resident expert will be further able to assist you once he has that information.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Floggin, I got your message that you haven't had a BSOD in a bit so you can't post to that section. If it does occur then I would recommend that route.

In the meanwhile I would suggest you uninstall Kaspersky and install MSE to see if that helps or eliminates the slow-down. And I would make sure your DirectX is 11 as I posted in the other thread.

You might also skim this thread including my post on page 48.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
TorrentG, our BSOD expert, recommended this to another user and with that he may be able to see some issues but I do believe he will also recommend replacing your anti-virus with MSE...
"you can type msinfo32 in the start menu then press enter. File | save from the opened screen. Zip the saved file and attach to a post."

Note: to attach files you need to click the "Post Reply" button rather than use the empty box and "post quick reply".

Ask a Question