New OEM Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit freezing frequently

Reaction score
I know others have posted on this issue but no clear verified by the asker answers or any answers whatsoever on how to fix the problem in their posts.

Just bought windows 7 pro 64 bit OEM. I installed it last night. I reinstalled it this morning, due to consistent freezing at windows start-up, as well as other random times. I had all of windows updates installed last night prior to reinstall, along with all up-to-date drivers. After reinstall still consistently freezing on windows 7 start up and randomly. I have yet to notice any problems in windows safe mode. The first install was over windows XP. The second was on the same freshly formated hadr drive.

Define Freezes: no response from mouse and keyboard for longer than 10 minutes before hard reboot. Screen stays in the same place, HDD light still runs and I can hear the hum of the Hard Drive. Nothing...

6 out of 10 hard reboots result in having to reboot another time before even getting into windows 7. CHKDSK runs automatically every so often due to the rebooting

I have a fairly new up-to-date system,
CPU: AMD Phenom 2 Black Ed. X4 940
RAM: 4 GB (2 sticks) G.Skill DDR2-1066 PC2-8500 CL 5-5-5-15 2.0~2.1V
GPU: Gigabyte NVidia GeForce GTX 460 1GB GDDR5
MB: Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P
Monitor: Dell 22" 2005FPW
Power Supply: Rocktfish 700 Watt Power supply
Hadr Drives: Seagate Barracuda 7200-8 250 GB
as per bios:
CPU temp 47 degrees
System temp 32 degrees

Things I have tried:
-I have run memtest and it passed
-switched the position of the RAM sticks
-performed a complete virus scan of computer using Avast free ed.
-turned off Workstation in msconfig (per a forum post answer to the problem)
-downloaded and installed all of windows 7 updates and drivers for each component
-removed a stick of ram to boot with just one
-reseated the GPU
Nearly everything that others have recommended and nothing works

Please please help! I would very much like to get the most out of my new product rather than have to revert back to XP and toss $120 dollars down the toilet

Thank you for all your help

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
jcbryant, welcome to the forum! Have you ran "chkdsk /r"? It takes longer than the standard disc check, and it's more through also.

You may want to visit a site such as Driver Max, they have a free driver finding service, and you can get 2 free drivers per day. Somewhere, there sounds as though a driver is missing, it only takes one, and your whole system is out of whack.

Plus, you can download and run Malwarebytes in safe mode.

It is my hope that you get your install of Windows 7 going, as I understand the value of money myself. I'm sure that somehow, someway, you'll get your 64 bit install of 7 going just fine.

Hang in there!

Best of Luck,
Cat

Reaction score
Answer to problem

It turns out that the problem was my brand new piece of junk graphics card. gigabyte geforce 460. Glad I got a refund

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Nvidia may have better stats on some of the higher end graphics cards, but AMD Radeon are more stable in my humble opinion.

Ask a Question