Forum slow

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place for this, please feel free to move it. For the last couple of days, this forum has been very slow to open up. Navigation once on line is fine, just the opening page. Other websites are fine.:dontknow:

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up! I've moved this thread to the feedback section :)

The forum speed seems OK from my end, so I'd be interested to know if anyone else is having access problems. How many seconds would you say it takes to load up?

If it's the first page you load that is slow, I wonder if it's a DNS lookup issue. I did a test on http://www.alertra.com and it seems to load pretty quick on there.

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up! I've moved this thread to the feedback section :)

The forum speed seems OK from my end, so I'd be interested to know if anyone else is having access problems. How many seconds would you say it takes to load up?

If it's the first page you load that is slow, I wonder if it's a DNS lookup issue. I did a test on http://www.alertra.com and it seems to load pretty quick on there.
Just loaded almost instantly, as it does at times. Other times it can take at least ten seconds. It seems to have no consistency.:dontknow:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm making some changes to the database this morning to see if that helps (the changes are being made now, so it may be a little slow for a few minutes, but no downtime).

I'll also increase the scope of the slow query log to see if there is anything dragging the performance of the site down. In the early hours of Sat morning (around 3-6am GMT) there may be some slowness due to the backup script running, but it shouldn't last this long.

Hopefully these changes will improve the situation, but it if happens again tomorrow just let me know and I'll delve into the new logs. :)

Reaction score
I had the same issue last night, it took forever to load the home page, I just gave up in the end, closed the tab, opened a new tab, typed in the url - hit enter - and it was fina and dandy after that.
Great forum btw Ian :)

Reaction score
I'm making some changes to the database this morning to see if that helps (the changes are being made now, so it may be a little slow for a few minutes, but no downtime).

I'll also increase the scope of the slow query log to see if there is anything dragging the performance of the site down. In the early hours of Sat morning (around 3-6am GMT) there may be some slowness due to the backup script running, but it shouldn't last this long.

Hopefully these changes will improve the situation, but it if happens again tomorrow just let me know and I'll delve into the new logs. :)
You just have to be joking. I know that I am already drop dead gorgeous, but I still like a few hours of beauty sleep at that time.:star::elefant:

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I have noted fast and slow opening of the site and as andsome said there is no consistency ?.

I did run flushdns ... made no difference.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have noted fast and slow opening of the site and as andsome said there is no consistency ?.

I did run flushdns ... made no difference.
This time it opened so fast, I don't think I had actually clicked the mouse button.:dancing2:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It looks like I'll need to do some exploring then :). There are a few other sites on this server, but the load is pretty low at the moment.

I wonder if the problem could be realted to the "new posts" counter on the site. I may try disabling it for a day or two if the problem continues.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I've noticed it slow at times, too. A couple of times Firefox stopped trying to connect. I just figured that since the membership is growing at a fast pace, the servers are being pushed to the limit at times. I never thought anything else of it until I read this thread. Windows 7 is the fastest selling OS of all time, so the forum growth is moving fast, too.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I have been experiencing the same, on an intermittent basis. I did not post as I mad the assumption that perhaps oit was my ISP (weekend traffic), although it was not happening on other sites. But I have found the same thing on the new Windows 8 site? - Maybe a server problem at your end, Ian?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
As Dave said I'm finding the same at the Windows 8 site ?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
This sounds like a problem with the current server then, so I've placed an order for a much more powerful one which should be online in the next day or so. It will then take a couple of days of testing, so I guess I will be able to move the site over in the middle of the week. :)

I don't expect there will be more than a few minutes of downtime (hopefully none at all), but I will post here as the transfer is about to happen.

The new server has 12GB Ram and dual Xeon 5520 CPU's, so it should fly :D I was going to go for the Intel SLC SSDs for the database drive, however I'll see how the 15k SAS drives work for now. It will be easy enough to upgrade the drive if required.

Reaction score
What have I started? I hope I don't get a bill.:confused:
LOL, Thats funny.

You may have started this thread, but there are other threads on the same topic. There is a third site(TechieHQ.net) not mentioned with a topic about server problems.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
What have I started? I hope I don't get a bill.:confused:
It's in the post :lol:

Don't worry, quite a few people have mentioned speed problems over the past month so it sounds like it's about time that the server was boosted.

The new server is around 4x faster than the old one :)

Reaction score
It's in the post :lol:

Don't worry, quite a few people have mentioned speed problems over the past month so it sounds like it's about time that the server was boosted.

The new server is around 4x faster than the old one :)
The page will open BEFORE we click then.:cool:

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Fast ... very .... fast and navigating within the Forum, nice one Ian :top:, I did power-cycle my Router as i had not done it for about a month this helps as well.

Ask a Question