Font rendering XP style in Windows 7

Reaction score
I loved the way XP rendered fonts. With both Cleartype and Standard both switched off the result was crisp fonts, with none of the blurry rendering adored by modern OS creators.

Question is, how can I replicate the font appearance of XP in Windows 7?

Switching off Cleartype in W7 isn't enough - some form of anti-aliasing is still taking place.

Any ideas? I mean, all I want to do is achieve the same level of clarity offered by XP... is that so much to ask!??

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
Start>Control Panel>Appearance and Personalization
Under the "Fonts" Category, there should be something on the far right that says "Adjust Cleartype Text". From there, you should be able to fine-tune your fonts.

Reaction score
Beta, that isn't going to do it dude. Notice in the above post Magneto said that he had turned off Cleartype. I did the same thing and agree with M; even with Cleartype off, 7 is still somehow doing a cleartype render on a lot of the menus. And I don't think there is ANY cleartype mode that will mimic what XP does; I think the right direction is to first turn cleartype off and then go from there.

Cliff: will check out your suggestion and see how it goes...I have the exact same problem as Mag at this point....these rendered fonts are messing with my eyes :(

Reaction score
Ok Mag/all, check this out: I followed Cliff's "Text Shadow" thread and tried removing the
"use drop shadows" from the control panel-->performance information and tools-->advance tools-->adjust the appearance and performance of window area and that didn't do anything BUT. When I then went into that area and unchecked "Use Visual Styles on Windows and Buttons" I managed to restore the sharp text almost everywhere!! HOWEVER, this also whacks a lot of the win 7 theme look, you are gonna notice everything goes back to an almost plain vanilla win 95 look, as if by unchecking that 7 is removing ALL customization from EVERYTHING. So I haven't tried messing around with it yet to see what kinds of themes I can get from here, but this is the direction you need to go in if you want this :)

In other words, something about the "Visual Style" in 7 is causing the additional rendering.

Last edited:

Ask a Question