SOLVED Flash player on 64 bit Windows7

Reaction score
I have some video playing software which has stopped working; said to be because the flash player requires the 32 bit version of Inernet Explorer.
My system is 64 bit version of windows 7
Can problem be solved?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
A 64-bit OS can run both a 32-bit browser and a 64-bit browser, in fact unless you have one of the European versions of W7 N then it came with both 32 & 64-bit versions of IE installed. Also because 64-bit browsing was not well supported when W7 was released, the 32-bit IE is in fact the default version whenever you click on a URL. So you must be opening a 64-bit browser purposefully. Apparently you will need to open the 32-bit version if you wish to access that site. Unless you deleted them you should have links for both versions of IE in your start > programs menu.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Further to TM's excellent, as usual, advice, if running a 64bit version, install the 64 and 32 bit versions of flash, and dare I say, Java.

Reaction score
The problem I was having was with jaquielawson animated e-cards. http://www.jacquielawson.com/

Initially the cards displayed satisfactorally but they suddenly stopped working, (display containing small blanked out areas) I was told because the flash player needed 32 bit internet explorer. This does not appear to be the answer as I am now running the 32 bit browser and the problem remains the same.

Has anyone seen this? Is it worth the effort to fix it!!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I had no problem seeing the animation myself in FireFox once I approved it for flash (I have an app that prevents scripts from running on unknown sites without approval). It is possible you have a similar plug-in which is preventing the cards from playing. Try using the browser option with "No Addins"; if it works when doing this then it is an add-in you have added to the browser which is blocking scripts or flash or perhaps blocking certain sites.

It also worked perfectly in my IE (I don't use IE so I don't have any add-ins loaded to there and it worked right away).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks TM Everything works fine with Firefox now the correct version of Adobe is installed

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I use an application called Alternative Flash Player Auto-Updater. It's nice because then you don't need to have adobe's download manager and it checks all your browsers of any bit-size.

Now I don't leave it start up automatically on boot and run in memory because I don't like things updating except under my control but I do like to run it manually every week or two just to make sure all my versions of flash are up-to-date. It might be worth checking out for yourself.

Ask a Question