First Impressions of Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Let me first start of by saying hello to everybody :ciao: I look forward to joining in here!

I've been using Windows 7 since November and my first impressions are very positive, so much so that I'm not actually using Vista at all (I'm dual booting). It boots up noticeably faster on my system and is very stable.

So far it hasn't crashed but I have had a few minor incompatibility errors. Oddly, not with Windows 7 but IE8.

If this is isn't even at the full beta stage yet then I think we can expect something exciting from MS. It's the speed improvements that are the best IMO.

Has anyone got any complaints about Windows 7 so far?

Reaction score
Windows 7 is a very stable, efficient and snappy O/S....i've also shifted from Vista to Windows 7. :)

In fact, i've noticed that Windows 7 x86 is noticeably faster than Vista x64. So far, the best version is the recent beta (build 7000).

However, i've also messed around with Windows 7 beta 1 x64...and a little more attention is required. Start-up times, for some odd reason, are a little longer than the x86 counterpart and the system can hang for a second or so when dealing with files/installations....I don't know why. :)

The beaut, though, is that the digital signing issue is just as manageable as Vista x64....so it's brilliant.

r2rX :D

Reaction score
I've only had Windows 7 Beta 1 running for a few hours, but this is the best build yet from what I can tell. It's even faster than the old XP installation on the test PC I'm using.

It's the little things I like, such as remembering Window sizes and snapable desktop gadets. WMP12 looks like a big improvement too.

Most of all, I like the speed. :D

Reaction score
The OS itself is wonderful, a great improvement over Vista and I definitely will be upgrading to either the beta or as soon as it's released.

I'm not too partial on WMP myself, though, it seems like every time they make a new version the UI gets more and more complicated. Hence, why I have since switched to iTunes. :p

Reaction score
Win7 is so sweet. Fast and graphically beautiful. That seems like an impossible combo for MS, but they did it. I can't believe it really. My PC is fun again. So far stability is very good. A few hiccups on application compatibility. But hardware compatibility is unreal. My embedded Dell 360 bluetooth module which I never got working in Vista works now, out of the box, with the included drivers. Every piece of hardware in my 2 year old Dell e1705 was supported out of the box. Awesome.

My OSes over the years...
Win 3, Win 3.1, WFWG3.11, Win95, Win95OSR2, Win98, Win98SE, Win2k, XP Home, XP Pro, Vista x86, XP x64, and Server 2008 x64 most recently. All but Vista x64, Win ME, and Server 2003 I think,

Win7 is easily the best. The configurability is so nice. From the taskbar, to the background, to the folders. It's so customizable. It's so intelligent in terms of hardward, updates, and settings. It's uncanny.

I said to my brother a few days after installing the beta, "This is my OS now, and MS is finally giving OS X a run."

Reaction score
I like it

I put it on this morning and am really likeing what im seeing. Is there a way you can cacade the windows and select the one you want like you can in vista? Have got a Nova T usb tv penand cant get it to work because of digitally signed drivers. Have tried switching off integrity checking at the command prompt but it didnt seem to work. Other than that, I think it may be my primary operating system real soon!!

Reaction score
I put it on this morning and am really likeing what im seeing. Is there a way you can cacade the windows and select the one you want like you can in vista?
No, just the "stacked" or "side by side", by right clicking the task bar. They should have kept that, but saying that, when a few windows are open, the ability to preview tabs and select the window you're after is pretty cool.

Other than that, I think it may be my primary operating system real soon!!
It's mine already, going from Vista to this was an easy transition, and perofmance wise, I find this already faster than Vista, so things can only get better.

Reaction score
Let me first start of by saying hello to everybody :ciao: I look forward to joining in here!

I've been using Windows 7 since November and my first impressions are very positive, so much so that I'm not actually using Vista at all (I'm dual booting). It boots up noticeably faster on my system and is very stable.

So far it hasn't crashed but I have had a few minor incompatibility errors. Oddly, not with Windows 7 but IE8.

If this is isn't even at the full beta stage yet then I think we can expect something exciting from MS. It's the speed improvements that are the best IMO.

Has anyone got any complaints about Windows 7 so far?

I installed it in January and have had only a Bluetooth issue and I am enjoying it very much and even put it on my laptop. I am very pleased with it. MS has finally gotten this one right.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question