Finding expire date of W7 RC

Reaction score
Hi,

I have the Windows 7 RC still and was wondering how do I go about seeing when my beta licence expires? i'm sure there is someware within the system.

Also as I am on the RC if I bought the legit Home Premium edition when it comes out would I need to re install it or just enter the code? not sure because of different features and versions.

Thanks
Tom

Reaction score
Also as I am on the RC if I bought the legit Home Premium edition when it comes out would I need to re install it or just enter the code? not sure because of different features and versions.
I'd go with a clean install. Many things have been fixed since the RC came out.

I don't even think just entering the code would work, anyway. The RC uses a different set of keys.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It will probably be possible to do an upgrade install from RC to the RTM final version. You may have to do a little but of trickery to get it done. If it doesn't work just by inserting the disc you'll have to copy the contents of your disc to your hard drive, modify one file, and then make a new disc with the changed file.

I've been pretty impressed with the upgrade process - i'm running the RC1 build also. Originally i upgraded from vista, which actually worked perfectly. Then i upgraded from that beta build to the RC build using the bit of trickery i mentioned. That worked almost perfectly - my start menu is blank. That's a bug MS was aware of so hopefully it's been fixed in the RTM build.

If you dont mind spending the extra time reinstalling your programs, a clean install is always better. I'm lazy though and have a lot of crap installed on my machine so i'll probably try doing an upgrade install first.

Reaction score
Would the upgrade install be the same sort of tinkering, do you think for the RC 1 to RTM? And if so are there any tutorials on the web, or do you know how; because it is really annoying having to reinstall.
Also do you know if the RTM will incude a web browser? Mainly because I know the E versions don't, and was wondering?
Thanks again, and as always this forum is no. 1

Last edited:
Reaction score
My guess would be yes, it's the same sort of tinkering. Of course it's always possible they disabled it in the RTM version.

\sources\cversion.ini
Modify the above file

change MinClient:7100.0 to MinClient:7000.0 and you get the option to upgrade from the beta client to the RC client.

Since the RC client is 7100, i guess you can change MinClient to 7100.0 (although 7000.0 should work also)

And as far as i know, it will include a browser. Usually if MS has multiple versions of an operating system - such as XP without IE, they provide a separate download for that version on technet or msdn. if you are talking about the boxed version you buy in the store - i guess it depends where you live. If it's in the US i doubt any retail outlet would sell anything other then the version with IE.

Reaction score
Would the upgrade install be the same sort of tinkering, do you think for the RC 1 to RTM? And if so are there any tutorials on the web, or do you know how; because it is really annoying having to reinstall.
Also do you know if the RTM will incude a web browser? Mainly because I know the E versions don't, and was wondering?
Thanks again, and as always this forum is no. 1
When I get my hands on the Windows 7 DVD. Im not going to concern myself with the RC1. A fresh install will be done and from there the Service Packs.

I read somewhere that the Manufacturers for EU will have the option to install the browser of their choice whether it be IE8, Firefox, etc... Its EU Windows install disk that will not integrate IE8 into the OS. Its also my understanding that there will be an option during or after Windows install for the browser of your choice.

Ask a Question