SOLVED finding my pictures

Reaction score
in widows XP Icould find all my picturesin the search panel .
Can I do this in widows 7 ?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Hi ceesta! Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums Website! :ciao:

Yes, you can as before. See the example below.

This works whether it's a jpeg, png, or any other image format.

I hope this helps you out.

Reaction score
thanks Nibiru
It isn't the answer I am looking for.
In XP The search panel allowed me to look for all the pictures in my PC without designating the name or file location.All the pictures would then be shown on my screen.
I would like to be ab leto do the same in widows 7

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you follow the standard Windows established in XP then your pictures would be stored under "My Pictures" and in Windows Explorer there is a Pictures section and they would be under there.

I don't recall in XP where you could just say find all pictures. Was that with a search engine or an application or where was it that you did this find all pictures?

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
"I don't recall in XP where you could just say find all pictures" Ha. Glad to read that. I mentioned this post to one of my grandchildren, who has an old laptop running XP. He also asked how you do that - I didn't have the answer!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Actually I found it within XP mode. I had never used it before so that's probably why I didn't recall it.
XPsearch.jpg

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Here's something to try...

In Nibiru's post, he had the right idea...

@OP if you're looking for all images only in an area, use that search bar to define a file extension. Type in for example:

Code:
.jpg
And it will find all jpegs.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Thanks TM, I'll pass it on. (The "grandchild "is 8 yrs old!!)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
In Windows Explorer you first point to c:, then up in the search box type or paste this string:
kind:pictures
... this will find all your pictures anywhere on the drive but it takes a long time if you have a 1TB drive like I do. (This also works for kind:video and kind:music, in fact if you just type kind: it will give you a drop-down menu to pick your search type)

Alternatively, if you only want a few different file extensions then you can use:
jpg OR png OR gif
... to find JPGs & PNGs & GIFs all in a single search (note the OR must be in capital letters)

Windows uses libraries and, although the practice started in XP, you weren't forced to use that structure but in W7, and with hard drives getting so huge, it is a very good idea to sort your information into the appropriate libraries (Pictures, Music, Videos, Documents) then all your pictures will be in the Pictures Library and you don't have to search all of C:, you can instead point to just the desired library to start your search.

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I really think ceesta wants to see all the thumbnails, as TM illustrates in XP mode. As I said, Windows Live Photo gallery will do this in exactly the same way.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Or just use the kind:pictures and set display to large icons like I did here in Windows Explorer ...
W7search.jpg

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
in widows XP Icould find all my picturesin the search panel .
Can I do this in widows 7 ?
The question asked above is WHAT I answered and then I'm told that my answer was NOT what the OP was looking for. They didn't state they wanted to view the photos as "Thumbnail" type.

IF posters would be SPECIFIC about what it is they're looking for then the answer would be more direct.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
One of my favorite quotes is "You may think you thought you understood what you thought I said but what you may not realize is what I said was not necessarily what I meant".

I think the OP now has a way to do what they want in Windows Explorer or with Windows Live Photo gallery. But it would be nice if they return to confirm that this is in fact the answer they were hoping to get.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Sort of. You have two choices, as already mentioned above, but here they are again:

1. In windows explorer you pick the search folder in the left pane, so if you need the whole harddrive you select C: and then in the search field type kind:pictures. When the results come back, if it isn't already showing thumbnails, then you click the details option on the upper right and pick large icons. See example:
W7searchPictures.jpg

2.Install Windows Live Photo Gallery and use that.

Last edited:
Reaction score
O.K. TM

Will do.
thanks for your help.
Perhaps there is life after XP after all !!

Ask a Question