File association in Home premium

Reaction score
As is my practice I always look for and find best solution for what I need done with minimum intervention. To this end I use third party applications and avoid what MS supplies with the OS. For example I use one particular clock application which has alarm function built in. It aIso has a feature of running any file at designated time. I use this in place of scheduler.

On a similar note I absolutely avoid using cmd.exe and prefer tcmdlite for ALL my batch files.

The batch files created have an extension of "btm". For the life of me I cannot associate this with tcmdlite. I have to create another batch file with "cmd" extension and run tcmdlite with same named .btm file as parameter.

Can anybody shed a lite on this strange behavior? I have no such problem under Win 7 Ultimate.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There is no difference in the file association system in home premium vs ultimate. In control panel > default programs see if maybe something else is associated with .BTM. You should be able to associate it with any executable you choose.

Reaction score
There is no difference in the file association system in home premium vs ultimate. In control panel > default programs see if maybe something else is associated with .BTM. You should be able to associate it with any executable you choose.
Normally I can change the association by going into properties for the specific file and changing the executable that will handle it or by "open with" option in context menu and checking "always use this ..." option. In this case I have no choice and it will not allow me to change the default application.

I guess I will have to live with it. Writing a 2 line cmd file for every btm file that I use is not that big a deal and only a one time effort.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you go to control panel > default programs ... associate a file type or protocol with a program, what program do you have associated with BTM ? I know that I don't have any at all.

Ask a Question