File Associations

Reaction score
I have recently encountered a problem with file associations. This has occurred with .pps and .jpg files (others may be affected but I haven't checked). I have impress installed that handles power point files and my photo program handles .jpg files. I checked in the Windows file associations list and the association for .pps files is Impress and .jpg has Paint Shop Pro for the associations. Both of these have worked in the past. Any suggestions?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You said you installed Impress to handle pps and file associations lists the default as Impress? I fail to understand how that is a problem?

And if your Photo program is Paint Shop Pro then again you want jpgs handled by that and that is what is set so? Still not understanding a problem here.

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I don't quite understand the problem you're encountering either. "Both of these have worked in the past."?

The program doesn't open when you double click the file? The program doesn't work at all? Or a different program opens apart from the default setting for the file extension?

There could be many other assumptions with that as well

Reaction score
To Trainable man

While the associations list the proper associations, if I try to open a pps or jpg file, I get the notice that "the associated helper application does not exist. Change the associations in your preferences" I can open up either app and it works fine. For example, I can click on a jpg file in my documents folder and the photo app comes up as it should. Does that help?

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I believe you are referring to attempting to open files, with those associates, with your browser (Probably Firefox?) ??
If so, you have possibly discarded an add on which needs to be reinstated.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Are you trying to open them from a browser, as Dave asks, or from Windows Explorer?

If you mean it won't work when you click a file in Windows Explorer then if you know when this began the easiest solution might be to try a restore point prior to the problem.

If it is in a browser like Dave mentioned then you would need the add-on and the easiest way for that might be to uninstall and reinstall.

If you don't have a restore point old enough then uninstalling and reinstalling the apps may be your best solution in the first situation as well.

Reaction score
Associations

I'll explain the problem in a little more detail. Using my email client (Thunderbird), I get attachments that are pps or jpg files. In the past, I have had no problem opening the attachments because I had set the associations for the pps files as impress and the jpg files as my photo app. All of a sudden now when I click on one of those attachments, I get the error message that says " the associated helper application does not exist. Change associations in your preferences". I check my preferences and they are correct. To verify that they work I can go to my documents file and click on a jpg file or a pps file and the correct app comes up and diplays the file properly. Any suggestions?

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
It sounds like you may need to set the preferences within Thunderbird itself, not the OS. If you can save these attachments to your hard drive and are then able to open them normally then it should be a settings issue with your Thunderbird client.

Ask a Question